Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I've got an unconditional offer from the Uni of Leicester but I still want to aim for the Uni of Nottingham as my firm choice, which is a conditional offer of AAA. I am worried that if I make Leicester my insurance as opposed to my firm, they will retract the unconditional offer. Can they actually do this?

ReputationRep:
    No

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    No, they can't retract an offer once they've given it to you, except in cases of fraud.

ReputationRep:
    If i make it my insurance, can they change it to conditional instead of unconditional?

ReputationRep:
    no.

ReputationRep:
    Birmingham only allow unconditional offers if applicants firm them, but it appears that Leicester are more generous - see http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=2516420

Double check to be sure though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ageshallnot)
    Birmingham only allow unconditional offers if applicants firm them, but it appears that Leicester are more generous - see http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=2516420

Birmingham's unconditional offers arguably aren't true unconditionals though. If OP has recieved a true unconditional offer, then the university can't change it to conditional later on.

However, if you are really concerned, email the university before making any decisions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ageshallnot)

Yeah that's why I was concerned because I got an offer from birmingham that was only unconditional if I made it firm so I just wanted to see if that was common. Thank you though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MC96)
    Yeah that's why I was concerned because I got an offer from birmingham that was only unconditional if I made it firm so I just wanted to see if that was common. Thank you though
    Can we get an understanding of what Birmingham actually do?

Do you get an unconditional offer through track and does it specify that it must be a firm acceptance or is all of this being done by email "off UCAS"?

ReputationRep:
    For Birmingham, on UCAS Track it's down as a conditional offer, then when you click on the offer it says they'll offer you an unconditional place if you make them your firm choice by May. Leicesters down on Track as unconditional and that's all it says.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MC96)
    For Birmingham, on UCAS Track it's down as a conditional offer, then when you click on the offer it says they'll offer you an unconditional place if you make them your firm choice by May. Leicesters down on Track as unconditional and that's all it says.
    Thank you.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.