Turn on thread page Beta
    • Thread Starter


    I'm a British citizen and lived in the same area in England all my life, including six years as a tax paying full-time worker, until 15 months ago (Sept 2012) when I moved to Denmark to live with my girlfriend, who is Danish, and to look for work.

    Because the work situation is very difficult here we are considering returning to the UK in the New Year. If I wanted to apply for a course starting September 2014, would I still be entitled to full tuition fee and maintenance support as a home student (I have no previous degree) or would I fall foul of the 3 years consistent UK residence rule?

    Several sites, most prominently this one (Category 6):


    ...seem to suggest that I would be okay because I've only exercised my "right to roam" within the EU but there seem to be various contradictory answers in different places.

    It would be nice to get a confirmation - and if it is the case that I'd still be considered a home student, perhaps the government website's Eligibility section could be updated to read: You can only apply if...You've been living in the UK (or the EU) for 3 years before starting your course.

    Thanks in advance for any help.
    • Thread Starter

    bump for Mark Lee...

University open days

  • University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.