Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    When referring to data storage, a lot of people use the term 'Kilo' to mean 2^10 (1024), so a Kilobyte would be 1024 Bytes, and it's similar for Mega, Giga etc.

Now I was under the impression that the correct binary terms were Kibi, Mibi, Gibi and the metric Kilo, Mega and Giga meant 10^3, 10^6 and 10^9 respectively, as declared by the IEC around 1998 or something (someone will have to correct me on that). So for example, a Kilobyte is 1000 Bytes, but a Kibibyte is 1024 Bytes.

I was wondering what everyone uses then, and why?

ReputationRep:
    I tend to use kilo, mega, giga etc for either value - ie. 1000 bytes or 1024 bytes.

I know it's wrong, but it's just easier and saves on confusion (for non-IT people).

ReputationRep:
    I (wrongly) use the Kilo, Mega, etc for both 1000 & 1024. If I needed to refer to 1024 in a technical sense often, I would start using Kibi, but since I nearly always use the terms to lay people, using Kibi would just confuse people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maccees)
    When referring to data storage, a lot of people use the term 'Kilo' to mean 2^10 (1024), so a Kilobyte would be 1024 Bytes, and it's similar for Mega, Giga etc.

Now I was under the impression that the correct binary terms were Kibi, Mibi, Gibi and the metric Kilo, Mega and Giga meant 10^3, 10^6 and 10^9 respectively, as declared by the IEC around 1998 or something (someone will have to correct me on that). So for example, a Kilobyte is 1000 Bytes, but a Kibibyte is 1024 Bytes.

I was wondering what everyone uses then, and why?
    Depends who I'm talking to. I comfortably use both. While KiB, MiB, GiB etc are the correct units, they tend to only be used by very technical people and Linux nerds. Being a dual Windows/Linux user myself, I'm used to saying both. It would take a colossal Linux weenie to start correcting people on the unit they use, especially seeing as most people refer to 1024 Bytes as a kilobyte (except hard drive manufacturers of course...)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.