Baillie Gifford Watch

Hamsammich
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Good Morning everyone,

I am an international student currently studying a Bsc in Economics at a tier 2 university.

I am very interested in asset management as a future career and I am therefore currently completing my IMC qualification.

I understand that Baillie Gifford take graduates, but only 3 per year. I would obviously very much like to secure a role with BG - So how can I achieve it? What kind of things do they look for? And will the fact I have attended a tier 2 uni instead of Oxbridge or Edinburgh work against me? Would it be a good idea for me to consider getting a postgrad qualification such as the Msc Finance and Investments at Edinburgh?

Any advice regarding this would be very much appreciated!
webuffett
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Hamsammich)
Good Morning everyone,

I am an international student currently studying a Bsc in Economics at a tier 2 university.

I am very interested in asset management as a future career and I am therefore currently completing my IMC qualification.

I understand that Baillie Gifford take graduates, but only 3 per year. I would obviously very much like to secure a role with BG - So how can I achieve it? What kind of things do they look for? And will the fact I have attended a tier 2 uni instead of Oxbridge or Edinburgh work against me? Would it be a good idea for me to consider getting a postgrad qualification such as the Msc Finance and Investments at Edinburgh?

A few things...first, being international is probably your greatest strength. if you are female, even better.

second, coming from a tier 2 uni (whatever that means) will work against you. everyone there went to a "good uni", the ones that didn't usually have postgrad degrees of some sort or have firsts. to be clear, the reason why you go to a tier 2 uni is because you couldn't get into a better one. that is the problem, not the uni you go to.

third, they don't look for people interested in finance so getting a postgrad wouldn't help (it is also hard to get into Edinburgh F&I postgrad despite the fact that it doesn't have a particularly good reputation) although you probably would get an interview out of it.

However...doing the IMC is very impressive and something much to your credit. This is the sort of thing that stands out and is worth focusing on.

So coming back around, what they look for are people who are smart, personable, and "like them". This is all very intangible but they are impressed by people who can talk and know how to present themselves. They are impressed by academic achievement in any field. I think they see themselves as the "smart" guys and they have a very insular culture. As already stated, being international and female is also good.

It is also worth highlighting that they are very very growth-oriented. I am not sure why but this appears to have got more important over the past five years. I know this doesn't permeate the culture fully but they are obsessed with jazzy companies in emerging markets and "high-growth" industries (the grad video was changed a couple of years ago from something quite sensible to something you might find at a VC fund i.e. look at us saving the world).

To be clear, I know people who work/have worked there and I have interviewed there (unsuccessfully). If you are serious about AM, PM me.
agd89
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I would write to one of the seniors and try to get a face to face meeting. Your academics are great but to stand out from the crowd you need that bit extra. Be bold and get a letter of introduction off Baillie Gifford. Don't send it to HR though - mark it private and for one of decision makers. Good company Baillie Gifford if you can get with them you will have a good career. Good Luck!
agd89
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
That's great you are doing IMC. I did it in 2001 and it opened lots of doors for me.
a443s
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Hamsammich)
Good Morning everyone,

Since when have Edinburgh and Oxbridge been considered equal?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (864)
80.3%
Leave (212)
19.7%

Watched Threads