I got my DBS certificate, but... Watch

AdampskiB
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I have a caution for a sexual offence, exposure. I don't have to justify myself, but as I'm on a forum that I quite like, and I want to serious advice on my issue, then I guess I have to.

I was 14, we messed around in class and we used to get our knobs out for a laugh. Of course, I look at it now and think "what a douche bag", but it was only until this morning when I got my certificate through the post and it had that stated it on there. I felt embarrassed again, similar to how I felt when I went for the caution, but now it seems have a greater impact because this certificate seems to dictate who I am.

I want to get work experience in teaching and my university are going to organise me a placement, so I can potentially teach some basic programming classes! In what manner do I approach this? Does this at all harm my prospects on gaining teaching work experience? Can I expect them to understand the situation, that I was only 14 and didn't know anything better? Do I have to explain the whole story? Frankly, I'd rather not.
A5ko
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Just explain to them that you were a stupid kid back then.

If all else fails, get out your willy and give it a spin.
Fen2k
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I have no idea how school assess DBSs but I used to work for the Child Protection unit for a national sports organisation. Whilst any sexual offence would be considered as serious, we did investigate. Your age would be considered and likelihood of you re-offencing would also be considered. The fact it was 'only' a caution appose to an offence would also be considered. As I said, I do not know how schools assess DBSs but that's how a sports organisation does.

Edit - the sports organisation I worked for.
AdampskiB
Rep:
?
(Original post by Fen2k)
I have no idea how school assess DBSs but I used to work for the Child Protection unit for a national sports organisation. Whilst any sexual offence would be considered as serious, we did investigate. Your age would be considered and likelihood of you re-offencing would also be considered. The fact it was 'only' a caution appose to an offence would also be considered. As I said, I do not know how schools assess DBSs but that's how a sports organisation does.

Edit - the sports organisation I worked for.
Judging by your reply it sounds like I may have to provide some sort of explanation, but at least they will take into account factors that help highlight my innocence and try their best to recognise I'm not a pervert on paper.

Makes me feel a bit more relaxed about it...
Fen2k
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by AdampskiB)
Judging by your reply it sounds like I may have to provide some sort of explanation, but at least they will take into account factors that help highlight my innocence and try their best to recognise I'm not a pervert on paper.

Makes me feel a bit more relaxed about it...
That's what we did as a sports body. Mistakes happen, you were young and wee bit stupid (weren't we all). I don't know if schools will take a similar approach as the sports body I worked for, but I would like to think they would. When we had people in your situation, we would ask for an explanation, likeihood of reoffencing, police/social services report and references. I hope this helps
Interrobang
  • Volunteer Team
  • Peer Support Volunteers
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Out of interest, how old are you? Cos a lot of cautions stop being mentioned on a DBS after a while, altho it does say certain sexual offences will always stay disclosed (it doesn't say which ones they are)
AdampskiB
Rep:
?
(Original post by *Interrobang*)
Out of interest, how old are you? Cos a lot of cautions stop being mentioned on a DBS after a while, altho it does say certain sexual offences will always stay disclosed (it doesn't say which ones they are)
Interrobang
  • Volunteer Team
  • Peer Support Volunteers
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Ah then I guess if it was going to be removed, it probably would have been by now... I guess you'll have to go with the above advice and explain that you were young and show that you've matured. That it's your only caution and so long ago will hopefully help in that respect... Unfortunately I've never been (or known anyone) in the situation of having a caution or conviction
Juichiro
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by AdampskiB)
I have a caution for a sexual offence, exposure. I don't have to justify myself, but as I'm on a forum that I quite like, and I want to serious advice on my issue, then I guess I have to.

I was 14, we messed around in class and we used to get our knobs out for a laugh. Of course, I look at it now and think "what a douche bag", but it was only until this morning when I got my certificate through the post and it had that stated it on there. I felt embarrassed again, similar to how I felt when I went for the caution, but now it seems have a greater impact because this certificate seems to dictate who I am.

I want to get work experience in teaching and my university are going to organise me a placement, so I can potentially teach some basic programming classes! In what manner do I approach this? Does this at all harm my prospects on gaining teaching work experience? Can I expect them to understand the situation, that I was only 14 and didn't know anything better? Do I have to explain the whole story? Frankly, I'd rather not.
You played around when you were 14 and you still have it recorded in your DBS? :eek: It's not like you beat someone up. You just showed your penis. Jesus Christ! What is the reasoning behind making that an offence?
AdampskiB
Rep:
?
(Original post by Juichiro)
You played around when you were 14 and you still have it recorded in your DBS? :eek: It's not like you beat someone up. You just showed your penis. Jesus Christ! What is the reasoning behind making that an offence?
Flashing is an offence.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Business Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (221)
22.97%
The paper was reasonable (430)
44.7%
Not feeling great about that exam... (174)
18.09%
It was TERRIBLE (137)
14.24%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise