Graduate studies at Oxford - How does the college system work? Watch

beone
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hello together,

I am an international student currently applying for a masters degree at Xxford.

Could somebody be so nice and explain me how the college system works for graduate students? My classes should be offered by the department no matter what college I am in, but will there be special sessions I have to attend which are only within the specific college? Or is the college just there to offer another community besides all the classmates in the course?

I always hear that Oxford (and Cambridge) are so special because of their college systems, but I just never quite understood how it worked.

I would also be happy to hear some of you guys talking about the environment in general, and how Oxford is special to you or in general.

Thank you in advance!
nexttime
  • Universities Forum Helper
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Xxford: Like Oxford but more adult theatre?
Spoiler:
Show
(Brookes?)

You're pretty much correct. Undergrads have teaching from college, but for most grads college forms a much smaller part of their lives. You could probably have some kind of advisor in college as a contact, and in some cases PhD students do teaching for the college they are at, but you'll probably find its mostly a social/accommodation/sports thing.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Oxford
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 3 Jul '19
  • University of Oxford
    Thu, 4 Jul '19
  • University of Oxford
    Fri, 20 Sep '19

How did your AQA GCSE Physics Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (387)
30.81%
The paper was reasonable (493)
39.25%
Not feeling great about that exam... (220)
17.52%
It was TERRIBLE (156)
12.42%

Watched Threads