Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm studying a BTEC Level 3 course in Film & Television Production at Tower Hamlets College. I'm currently in my second year and achieved a MMP last year.

I aim to go to the University of Arts London to study either Journalism or Film & Television Production, however I only have 5 GCSEs: B in English Language, B in Religious Studies, C in Art, C in English Literature and C in Sociology.

I unfortunately do not have a C in GCSE Maths, however I passed Functional Skills Maths. I was just wondering if I could still get into university, despite having low Maths grades. The course I want to study at university isn't exactly mathematical, however I asked one of my classmates and she said that it's important that I have a C in GCSE Maths. Could someone help me? I need to know so I can decide what to do.

ReputationRep:
    The university entry requirements do not appear to have a specific requirement for GCSEs besides having 3 GCSE passes.
    Honours Degree Entry Requirements
    1.2.2. An applicant will be considered for admission to an Honours
    Degree who has already achieved a minimum educational level
    equivalent to either:

a) Passes in two subjects at GCE Advanced Level (80 UCAS
    tariff points normally including one single award), supported
    by passes in three other subjects at GCSE Grade C or
    above.
    BA (Hons) Journalism has a requirement of 5 GCSEs, however it is not specific
    For admission to the BA Journalism course applicants normally need:
    • 200 UCAS tariff points (gained at GCE Advanced level, preferably two Bs at grade B or above) will be considered, supported by passes in five other subjects at GCSE Grade C or above.
    • Alternatively, you will be considered if you have achieved 1 subject at GCE Advanced level and Foundation Diploma in Art and Design, supported by passes in three other subjects at GCSE Grade C or above. In addition, the University of the Arts London Awarding Body Level 3 Foundation Diploma in Art and Design will be considered.
    • We also accept people with the equivalent qualifications obtained through a National Diploma, Access, NVQ and a variety of other pre-University level qualifications including International and European Baccalaureate. Other qualifications, including overseas, may be considered.
    • We also accept those with relevant professional and vocational qualifications.
    • The subjects the Course Team will be looking for in your application are wide ranging: your A levels (or equivalents) would ideally have two Bs at Advanced level, achieved at grade B or above and may include Arts and Humanities and other Social Science subjects.
    BA (Hons) Film and Television (I couldn't find Film and Television Production) requires 3 GCSEs, but it is not specific:
    For admission to the BA Film and Television course applicants normally need:
    • 240 UCAS tariff points but a minimum of 160 UCAS tariff points (gained at GCE Advanced level) will be considered, supported by passes in three other subjects at GCSE Grade C or above.
    • Alternatively, you will be considered if you have achieved 1 subject at GCE Advanced level and Foundation Diploma in Art and Design, supported by passes in three other subjects at GCSE Grade C or above. In addition, the University of the Arts London Awarding Body Level 3 Foundation Diploma in Art and Design will be considered.
    • We also accept people with the equivalent qualifications obtained through a National Diploma, Access, NVQ and a variety of other pre-University level qualifications including International and European Baccalaureate. Other qualifications, including overseas, may be considered.
    • We also accept those with relevant professional and vocational qualifications.
    • The subjects the Course Team will be looking for in your application are wide ranging: your A levels (or equivalents) would ideally be achieved at grade C or above and may include English, History, Media, Business, Art and Design or other Social Science subjects.
    So basically, you're fine

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kwaku_96)
    I'm studying a BTEC Level 3 course in Film & Television Production at Tower Hamlets College. I'm currently in my second year and achieved a MMP last year.

I aim to go to the University of Arts London to study either Journalism or Film & Television Production, however I only have 5 GCSEs: B in English Language, B in Religious Studies, C in Art, C in English Literature and C in Sociology.

I unfortunately do not have a C in GCSE Maths, however I passed Functional Skills Maths. I was just wondering if I could still get into university, despite having low Maths grades. The course I want to study at university isn't exactly mathematical, however I asked one of my classmates and she said that it's important that I have a C in GCSE Maths. Could someone help me? I need to know so I can decide what to do.
    Only some universities will accept admission with a Functional Skills Maths as oppose to GCSE. You need to email them and specify their conditions.

Also, you could resit the Maths GCSE (I am).

ReputationRep:
    If they say you need GCSE maths C, then you need it.

Only some unis will accept functional skills as an alternative

If they don't specify GCSE maths C then you'll be fine.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Some universities specify, some don't. You'll have to check the specific requirements.

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.