The Student Room Group

Psychology Conversion MSc: St Andrews and Sussex experiences

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Vashisthashubhi
Thank you so much Jubial.

I have received offers from Univ of Nottingham and Essex! Waiting to hear from St Andrews and Bristol.

Any valuable inputs on the same? What should I choose? Thanks

I would choose St. Andrews if they say yes. Bristol is a close second.Then Nottingham. They are all great!

I got into all of them but decided to do Sussex myself due to location/scholarship reasons.

Do not bother with Essex. Period.

Congrats!!!
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Jubial
I would choose St. Andrews if they say yes. Bristol is a close second.Then Nottingham. They are all great!

I got into all of them but decided to do Sussex myself due to location/scholarship reasons.

Congrats!!!

Thank you so much Jubial. And how about University of Edinburgh- MSc Psychology mental health conversion program? Got offer letter from Univ of Edinburgh. Is that program more towards Clinical side of Psychology?
Reply 22
Thank you so much Jubial. And how about University of Edinburgh- MSc Psychology mental health conversion program? Got offer letter from Univ of Edinburgh. Is that program more towards Clinical side of Psychology?

I think that is the best one for Clinical! But if Clinical is not your goal, I would avoid that school.
Original post by Jubial
I think that is the best one for Clinical! But if Clinical is not your goal, I would avoid that school.

Yeah- Clinical is not my goal at the moment! Sure :smile: Thank you for all your help
Reply 24
Hi everyone!

Has anyone decided on Psychology of Mental Health in Edinburgh?

I've applied to St. Andrews, Glasgow and Edinburgh and was accepted by last two (waiting for St.Andrews) , but after a chat with close friend doing her Conversion in St.Andrews I would be cautious of choosing that one. It is very competitive, the group very small but according to her story absolutely everyone is disappointed. I had very bad experience with Conversion in Cambridge and I don't want to repeat that awful experience.

Is there anyone with some information about Edinburgh? I would appreciate a first hand account on it!
Original post by LingHin
Hi everyone!

Has anyone decided on Psychology of Mental Health in Edinburgh?

I've applied to St. Andrews, Glasgow and Edinburgh and was accepted by last two (waiting for St.Andrews) , but after a chat with close friend doing her Conversion in St.Andrews I would be cautious of choosing that one. It is very competitive, the group very small but according to her story absolutely everyone is disappointed. I had very bad experience with Conversion in Cambridge and I don't want to repeat that awful experience.

Is there anyone with some information about Edinburgh? I would appreciate a first hand account on it!

Hey, I’ve applied to Univ of Nottingham, Edinburgh, St Andrews, Bristol and Essex! Received offers from- Nottingham, Edinburgh and Essex. Waiting to hear from other two- St Andrews and Bristol.

I am shocked to know of this experience at St Andrews, I just heard good reviews of it until now as much I tried to find out with current students and alumns! Considering that all MSc Psych Conversion programs are extremely competitive so wondering what went wrong specifically at St Andrews!!!

At the moment my best bet seems to be Nottingham since clinical Psych is not a priority hence not choosing Edinburgh Mental Health Conversion. Otherwise Edinburgh seems to be a great option.

Welcome to suggestions! Good luck to you :smile:
Original post by Jubial

Congrats!!!

Hi Jubial, I have just received an offer letter from the University of St Andrews. Have to choose between St Andrews and Nottingham.

Any suggestions? Thank you :smile:
Reply 27
Has anyone else got an offer from St Andrews for the conversion? :smile:
Reply 28
Hi Jubial, I have just received an offer letter from the University of St Andrews. Have to choose between St Andrews and Nottingham.

Any suggestions? Thank you :smile:

Yes, I got from Andrews and Oxford (Sociology Msc). I went with Sussex though because I thought their program was best for me. Tiny - only 25 students - and the requirements were harder to get into and had an interview, which really impressed me. I felt like I got auto-accepted by everyone else and wasn't sure how I felt with that. Oh and Sussex gave me a scholarship of 50% the fee.

I think either is good honestly. Just choose what location you like best! I would try to get in touch with professors or students and see where you fit in the best cause their rank/prestige pretty similar so don't go off that at all. Sussex let me Skype with the program director and a few of the students which really impressed me.

And again though. No one cares about your prestige for a conversion course. Like....at all.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 29
I got an unconditional offer to St. Andrews but I'm looking for someone with an offer from Edinburgh! Anyone?
Reply 30
Original post by LingHin
I got an unconditional offer to St. Andrews but I'm looking for someone with an offer from Edinburgh! Anyone?

Are you firming Edinburgh over St A?
Reply 31
Original post by marsjst
Are you firming Edinburgh over St A?

Yes. I have friends on that course in St.Andrews and I have heard very disturbing comments. Also I did conversion in Cambridge (unfinished) and don't trust rankings at all anymore. Cam was highly positioned and praised and it was a total catastrophe.

I managed to get in touch with current students in Edinburgh and though experienced varied I came up with quite a positive outlook.

Of course I have my doubts but no one can know for sure...
Original post by LingHin
Yes. I have friends on that course in St.Andrews and I have heard very disturbing comments. Also I did conversion in Cambridge (unfinished) and don't trust rankings at all anymore. Cam was highly positioned and praised and it was a total catastrophe.

I managed to get in touch with current students in Edinburgh and though experienced varied I came up with quite a positive outlook.

What was wrong with Cambridge?
Reply 33
Original post by geeky_greeky

It was based in School of Education but promised psychology/education ratio to be equal. On arrival I realized the psychological part was very week. Staff was mostly involved with early childhood development and even though I was accepted with my thesis proposal and promised adequate supervision there was absolutely no one to guide me in my subject that was more towards philosophy of educational psychology. Lectures were disappointing, it felt like first year of BA with very general "discussions" instead of solid teaching. They were disorganized and vague and it was totally impossible to reach anyone responsible for the shape of the course for support. It literally felt like the course was made for the profit on their part only and apart from grand promises they were unable to provide any real guidance.
Reply 34
Original post by geeky_greeky

I see you started this thread. Where did you end up taking the course, if you don't mind me asking?
Reply 35
Original post by LingHin

Oh I have heard the opposite; I guess its a tough course and everyone is bound to have different experiences.

If you don't mind me asking, why do your friends speak negatively of St As' conversion?
Reply 36
Original post by marsjst
Oh I have heard the opposite; I guess its a tough course and everyone is bound to have different experiences.

If you don't mind me asking, why do your friends speak negatively of St As' conversion?

I spoke to two of my friends but apparently the voiced "a bigger group opinion". It's mainly about poor quality of lectures, recently they just decided to leave the room... It seems the staff is easily impressed with every essay and no real teaching is taking place, the material is boring and they keep analyzing "multiple regression". It's really hard to say for me, opinions are just that.
Original post by LingHin
I see you started this thread. Where did you end up taking the course, if you don't mind me asking?

Sure, I actually only started this year at Birkbeck, University of London for the MSc Psychology. I did the foundation year this year- exams coming up.

Would I recommend it? If you're only going to study, to be honest I wouldn't recommend it as you are open to other options. However if you're going to work and study, then yes it's a good well-rounded option.

The foundation year has been shaky with plenty of complaints but it's not 'too easy' - however you will need to guide and motivate yourself for the most part. They do offer quite a few labs and drop in sessions which help. Lecturers are a mixed bag, some good some not. Again up to you to guide your learning.

I think the first year of the MSc will be more telling, as hopefully at that point they know you're serious. The reason I went with Birkbeck is because I have a good full-time job that I can pay for the course with while studying part-time, so for the most part it's the lifestyle choice rather than the reputation of the uni. Although Birkbeck is known for good psychological research from my understanding.
Reply 38
Hi Linghin, I applied St Andrews psychology conversion course for 2020 entry, haven't received any response from them yet. Can I ask when you received their offer? just wondering how soon I will know. thanks.
Reply 39
hey, did you hear back from St. Andrews?

Quick Reply

Latest