Turn on thread page Beta

so unmotivated at uni watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I'm 2 months into my first year at university and I'm already feeling so unmotivated. I've skipped so many of my lectures as I find them all so boring and the lecturers just read off of slides which are then available for us online anyways. I feel like I'm paying £9k for something I could teach myself. I'm also just generally finding the whole course quite dull and have chosen an extremely difficult optional module which I have to pass in order to complete first year.

To make things even worse I have been put in a flat where I'm the only 1st year student and most of the people in the flat keep themselves to themselves, are studying masters and are not fully fluent in english. I have made friends with a lovely bunch of people in another flat who I get on so well with but apart from them I have barely any other friends at uni.

I really don't want to drop out as the friends I have made are amazing and the experience has been great, also at home I just feel like I lost contact with so many people over the summer and would have nothing to go back to. However I just feel so bored and unmotivated to do any work or join any societies and I just don't know what to do.

Any one in the same position or have any advice they could give me would be much appreciated?

ReputationRep:
    I'm in a similar situation with your first paragraph.

I only really picked it because it's the "thing you do after sixth form". Not to mention you have to choose in like January, Which is way too early imo. Not to mention now i'm actually here, I feel like i'm paying £9k to look at powerpoints all day!
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by mcdermie)
    I'm 2 months into my first year at university and I'm already feeling so unmotivated. I've skipped so many of my lectures as I find them all so boring and the lecturers just read off of slides which are then available for us online anyways. I feel like I'm paying £9k for something I could teach myself. I'm also just generally finding the whole course quite dull

I really don't want to drop out as the friends I have made are amazing and the experience has been great, also at home I just feel like I lost contact with so many people over the summer and would have nothing to go back to. However I just feel so bored and unmotivated to do any work or join any societies and I just don't know what to do.

Any one in the same position or have any advice they could give me would be much appreciated?
    Third year, agree with all of that. I'm aware having a degree will help me in the long run but right now university is a hindrance if anything. I have one module which I love, but struggle for motivation with anything else. Even turning up for seminars is such a chore, and let's not speak of the dissertation.

I wish I could go back to my Year 13 self, constantly motivated to get work done!

ReputationRep:
    I'm a second year and I feel exactly the same way. I'm vaguely interested in my course but it's something I'd much rather be learning in my spare time whilst in full-time work than dedicating 3 years of my life to. The way I see it, I'm halfway through now and having a degree will be good.

Unless you really don't like it or are massively struggling with the content it's best to do as I'm doing and deal with it for 3 years doing the best you can and then enjoy the rest of your life, hopefully in a better job than you would be doing if you hadn't gone to university.
    Also make the best of it, you're lucky that you've met some nice friends that you can hang out with to cheer yourself up when you're not feeling so great about your course.

ReputationRep:
    Graduate and I can fully understand how you're feeling. Bear in mind it really is only early days at this point. I know it may feel like you've been there forever already but for me, things picked up a lot after Christmas. All I can say is don't let yourself be trapped in a negative rut. Try your hardest to change the things you don't like around you now before you get used to the way things are and they become more difficult to change. Now is the time to start joining societies and making effort with the people in your flat. Keep in touch with the people you made friends with in the other flat too. You want to build a network of friends from loads of different areas.

In regards to how you feel about your course, again I can completely relate. I would advise you to push past the laziness because first year grades can often be looked at by future employers (learning that the hard way now!). You're not helping yourself by avoiding lectures, seminars, etc either. I know it's easy to think that you should stay in because all the slides are online, but from my experience going to the lecture and hearing the lecturer elaborate on the material helps it resonate better. Also, not to mention the times you can't even make sense of a slide when you look at it in your own time. AND do you really trust yourself to go over the lecture slides in your own time when you've missed a lecture? I know I would go over those slides closer towards exam time!

You say you find lectures boring so you skip loads. Suppose you're missing all the interesting ones? you don't know till you go! Going to lectures is also a great way to make more friends and build a support system. You're gonna need to have people you can talk to about your academic related issues. It makes it a TONNE easier to get through your course.

So in short, make the most of uni. You've at least got some friends. Just give it your all. As I said, it's still early days, so it's completely okay to feel the way you do. Accept that and don't feel guilty about it. But you should still try your hardest to change the things you don't like now before its too late. Force yourself to do things if you have to. Talking from personal experience.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Latiasracer)
    I'm in a similar situation with your first paragraph.

I only really picked it because it's the "thing you do after sixth form". Not to mention you have to choose in like January, Which is way too early imo. Not to mention now i'm actually here, I feel like i'm paying £9k to look at powerpoints all day!
    This is exactly how I see it. Having to choose something to do at uni almost a year in advance was too early! And also felt like my school really pushed uni as the only option after sixth form. So much stress.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I thought about quitting university a few years ago now, as i wasn't enjoying it. I was going to all of the lectures but it just wasn't interesting. I changed course and now I am finding it really interesting, and because of that I motivate myself to do the work (sometimes).. perhaps you're doing the wrong course? I'm so glad I changed when I did, and it's always best to change in the first year.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    Your still unmotivated at uni? Well, if it makes you feel any better then I haven't managed to make any friends anywhere, apart from work and some from my former uni, University of Manchester.

I don't see them a lot actually but sometimes I think where exactly would I be able to fit in the time to meet up with them when I'm so busy. I know its so difficult to fit in time for so many things but I always make it a point to hang out with my friends, and spend time on TSR helping people out with all the issues they are encountering and all.

I think one of the best things about being at uni is your course and the facilities you have at uni. When I get to study in state-of-the-art lecture theatres and get taught by people who are all leaders in their fields, have access to millions of books from the library, everything else that bothers you, which for me is my accommodation and sometimes how its been weeks and my next instalment of student loan is still late, some people's selfishness has no end, and my patience wears thin every time I think about it because they are just nutcases on the loose and almost everyone seems incapable of restraining them when its so easy to do, which again makes me wonder what they are actually ever capable of really if they cannot even take care of this, if I have to do absolutely every little thing ?

Why are they even there with jobs, yeah ? These are by the way the knobheads (not the ones with the jobs, no, they're alrite but seem really incapable of anything on most days) who have made it their jobs to annoy me on a regular basis because I'm the kid with the great grades at uni and etc. etc. etc.

So its alright to feel like that on most days but its best to just shove it all out the window and focus on all that is good about your life and there is plenty there, and things will always get better. If a lecture isn't great then read more books on it, make it interesting. Don't be put off by a difficult module, work with your tutor to make it easy - there is no such thing as a non-passable subject, yeah ? Not after the difficult subjects I study on a regular basis for my course. You just have to workout the approach right, the approach that is going to work for you. Do you go for more contact hours, spend more time in the library, consult with your mates (never works by the way, because I dunno bout you but when your the brightest in the class, everyone else's intelligence is always a disappointment - mates do different courses!) or both?

I don't think you will lose your friends if you drop out of uni ! What kind of people do not remain friends with you if your not at uni ? Knobheads that's who, and who ever needs those around! Hang out with your friends, the ones who are not in your flats, its not ideal yeah, but you can work on making it ideal - there is abs. nothing stopping you from doing that :yy: !

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.