The Student Room Group

easy f=ma

Hey. I've got this question which is stressing me as i've done tonnes of them in M1 but can't figure it out.

A car of mass 1400kg pulling a trailerof 400kg accelerates from rest to a speed of 9ms in a time of 60s.

Calculate the tension in the tow bar
Original post by physicso
Hey. I've got this question which is stressing me as i've done tonnes of them in M1 but can't figure it out.

A car of mass 1400kg pulling a trailerof 400kg accelerates from rest to a speed of 9ms in a time of 60s.

Calculate the tension in the tow bar

What is it you don't get?

How to calculate the acceleration from the data given using suvat, or how to use that acceleration in F=ma for force?
Reply 2
Original post by Stonebridge
What is it you don't get?

How to calculate the acceleration from the data given using suvat, or how to use that acceleration in F=ma for force?

I understand both of those things fine - i'm just struggling with finding 'T' in the tow-bar! i'm literally stuck, i think i use suvat and f=ma for the last part (calculate the engine force)
Original post by physicso
I understand both of those things fine - i'm just struggling with finding 'T' in the tow-bar! i'm literally stuck, i think i use suvat and f=ma for the last part (calculate the engine force)

The tension in the towbar is the force, F, required to accelerate the trailer of given mass with the acceleration you found using suvat.
The tension in the towbar is the only (accelerating) force acting on the trailer.

Quick Reply

Latest