Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Considering the education system....Exams, graduation etc...Which would you prefer to be part of?

ReputationRep:
    British v American universities in particular would be interesting to discuss.

*subscribes*

ReputationRep:
    I have no knowledge of the American system, my answer is 100% biased and thus British.

ReputationRep:
    For school, Britain; for university (and esp. grad school), the US.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cambio wechsel)
    Why is that?

ReputationRep:
    US grad school seems better; why at undergrad level too, though?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ScarletArrow)
    Why is that?
    (Original post by Alpha brah)
    US grad school seems better; why at undergrad level too, though?
    I think, and think it is widely agreed, that US grad school is objectively better. Undergrad would have been better in the more limited sense of 'better for me', and this for the breadth requirement and the time that can be taken to declare a major. I wasn't ready to choose at 17 and think many others aren't either.

US university endowment :coma:

ReputationRep:
    I think, and think it is widely agreed, that US grad school is objectively better. Undergrad would have been better in the more limited sense of 'better for me', and this for the breadth requirement and the time that can be taken to declare a major. I wasn't ready to choose at 17 and think many others aren't either.
    This is exactly why I am applying to study in the US alongside my UK application. I have so many interests other than the area I have applied to study in at the UK. For all I know, I could change my mind after a year of being exposed to other stuff.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by + polarity -)
    US university endowment :coma:
    Dat massive endowment, though :coma:

Bustin' all kinds of nuts, deep inside... :sexface:

Wait, what? :eek:

ReputationRep:
    How is US grad school "objectively" better, at the risk of asking the obvious?

I think their undergrad degrees would be better for me (I'm applying to both next year), but, if, say, I got a place at Cambridge versus a place at a top Ivy League institution (not sounding arrogant, I do have good grades/ECs ) I'm not honestly sure which I would choose.

I think the Ivy League beats the Russell Group generally for undergrad. But Oxbridge specifically might be another matter.

Dat massive endowment, though :coma:

Bustin' all kinds of nuts, deep inside... :sexface:

Wait, what? :eek:
    Compare this list with this one (don't forget to sort in descending order!)

ReputationRep:
    US all the way, I'd like to be in a sorority.

Ameriucan schools are way better than England.

ReputationRep:
    I would like to go to university in the US. It would be easier to get sex and a girlfriend over there. The girls are confident and would give you attention instead of you needing to give them attention (which is the case in Britain).

ReputationRep:
    Compare this list with this one (don't forget to sort in descending order!)

Definitely shooting for those Ivies next autumn! :yep:

Definitely shooting for those Ivies next autumn! :yep:
    tbh though I'm a bit of a ******** and I don't actually know what the benefit is a huge endowment is lol

I just assumed it would mean QUITE SIK facilities, research grants growing on trees

(Original post by Bassetts)
    I would like to go to university in the US. It would be easier to get sex and a girlfriend over there. The girls are confident and would give you attention instead of you needing to give them attention (which is the case in Britain).
    You would be the guy writing on /b/ about all the times you lost your spaghetti

ReputationRep:
    tbh though I'm a bit of a ******** and I don't actually know what the benefit is a huge endowment is lol

I just assumed it would mean QUITE SIK facilities, research grants growing on trees
    Pretty much anything money can buy (I assume, say, the Harvard treasurer knows how to spend stuff ). So better quality teaching because they can afford to hire the best lecturers, sports clubs and societies must get loads of funding for equipment etc., even affording university would be easier as they provide a lot more financial aid than British ones.

Damn, this was some great incentive to aim for that. Thanks for sharing :hat:

Damn, this was some great incentive to aim for that. Thanks for sharing :hat:
    No problem brother

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.