Raf Medical Question about depression Watch

chz
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
So i have my raf medical coming up next Friday. And i am a little curious about previous medical records.

When I was 17 (I'm 23 years old now), I stupidly took too many paracetamols one night and I was referred to hospital for a few nights on a drip. I was then also diagnosed with mild depression/anxiety, and was prescribed anti-depressants and one on one therapy. I followed the treatment, and came off it for a while, but relapsed into it again was I was 21, although not as bad, due to a split with a girlfriend and a stressful job.

However I have been clear since then, apart from a recent blip where I was signed off by the doctor with stress (But that isnt related to depression) .

Does anyone have any advice about how I should handle this at my Medical Exam? I'm definitely going disclose all the information. Will it go against me though? I'm going in for ICT Technician.
Terrorfex
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by chz)
So i have my raf medical coming up next Friday. And i am a little curious about previous medical records.

When I was 17 (I'm 23 years old now), I stupidly took too many paracetamols one night and I was referred to hospital for a few nights on a drip. I was then also diagnosed with mild depression/anxiety, and was prescribed anti-depressants and one on one therapy. I followed the treatment, and came off it for a while, but relapsed into it again was I was 21, although not as bad, due to a split with a girlfriend and a stressful job.

However I have been clear since then, apart from a recent blip where I was signed off by the doctor with stress (But that isnt related to depression) .

Does anyone have any advice about how I should handle this at my Medical Exam? I'm definitely going disclose all the information. Will it go against me though? I'm going in for ICT Technician.
Answer all questions - whether they're on paper or asked directly - truthfully and let the system decide. The consequences of having been found to be withholding information are grave.
Drewski
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by chz)

When you say you relapsed, what happened?

The publicly available "medical standards that preclude entry" pdf from the RAF (here) says "more than one episode of deliberate self harm".

NB. That list is not exhaustive.
chz
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Yep gonna answer truthfully and in full.

And drewsky by relapsed I mean I just went back on some medication.

Is there a certain time period that I should be free from meds or treatment? Or is it all trade specific
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA GCSE Physics Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (405)
30.57%
The paper was reasonable (525)
39.62%
Not feeling great about that exam... (226)
17.06%
It was TERRIBLE (169)
12.75%

Watched Threads