Why is sexuality an exception when it comes to identity? Watch

Plainview
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Admittedly it's early doors, but it seems that TSR has reached a near consensus that sexuality is a biologically determined phenomenon, not a product of social issues. This is perhaps taken as read among today's liberal and progressive youth, and indeed it seems that most of the science backs it up.

Yet feminists tell us that gender is a social construct. I am always being asked on randomly distributed forms at university whether I 'self-identify' as a woman. Leftists tell us that class is a social construct; indeed some tell us that all social institutions – including nations and corporations – are unnatural and socially constituted. Relatively speaking, we're at the tail-end of the process of dealing with racism in the western world (having all but eradicated it in a de jure sense), as people begin to recognise that races are a superficial and misleading way of grouping people together (indeed there are cases of racial adjustment surgery where people choose to identify as a member of a different ethnicity from that in which they were born). Some of these movements are obviously less objectionable than others, but the overall trend among recent generations is towards a society without inherent categories of identity, only socially constituted ones.

So why is sexuality an exception? The clearest and most obvious counterpoint is gender. Can't someone 'self-identify' as gay, or straight, or whatever, if they want to? I know many people advocate sexuality scales, where there are no categorial labels, but the number of people who believe that sexuality is a truly flexible attribute is surely very few. And the number of people who believe that sexuality is a socially constructed attribute are, evidently, also few. Why is it that "people vociferously defend the notion that gender is a social construct while also recognising that sexuality is stone-cold biology"? What makes it different from everything else?
Watch Key Phone
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Sexuality is socially constructed. The underlying traits are mostly innate - i.e. someone is more or less attracted to people disaplying certain traits. But the idea of grouping the infinite variation in what people are attracted to into largely binary categories is a social construction.

Gender works the same way. The underlying traits of personality are there, but it's society that defines them as being inherently gendered in two categories.
The_Duck
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Metrosexuality?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA GCSE Physics Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (480)
30.91%
The paper was reasonable (601)
38.7%
Not feeling great about that exam... (256)
16.48%
It was TERRIBLE (216)
13.91%

Watched Threads