Mental Health views and oponions Watch

samanthakrob
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I'm doing some research into peoples views on mental health and was wondering if people would help me by posting their views and opinions so that I can see how people think about it.
JadeMelissa95
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
It's a touchy subject in the media, however, i think by raising awareness it would make people accept mental health illnesses rather than avoid them. By having more awareness it would therefore promote early diagnosis as people know what the signs are. Furthermore decreasing the stigma attatched to mental illnesses.
xoxAngel_Kxox
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
My views and opinions could probably fill several hundred pages, but I will keep it simple:

People need to be educated in order to encourage acceptance.
Ebony19
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
It's a complex area but we need to work on tolerance, understanding and encouraging healing.

Tolerance and understanding encouraged by the media and celebrities alone will likely only make matters worse by potentially glamorising the whole thing; ultimately discouraging people from getting better which is why we need to work on treatment methods.
Dopamine Dreams
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
That's a very broad question so I don't think I can provide much of an answer for it.

I think the main difference between mental health and physical health is knowledge and understanding of conditions from those in the medical field.

Mental Health
What causes depression? We're not entirely sure.
What causes OCD? We're not entirely sure.
What causes schizophrenia? We're not entirely sure.
What causes psychosis? We're not entirely sure.

Physical Health
What causes sciatica? We know it's pressure on the sciatic nerve.
What causes diabetes? We know it's poor insulin regulation.
What causes influenza? We know it's a virus.
What causes kidney stones? We know it's half a dozen different things.

If some of the best mental health academics and researchers in the world cannot fathom the true causes of specific mental health disorders, then what hope does the average Joe have? I suffer from mental health problems so am quite aware of the stigma attached to it.

I don't blame my Dad for not fully understanding how I feel like I do some times - how is he to understand it if my Psychiatrist cannot provide him with a plausible answer? Sure he can give his best educated guess as to what's going on in my mind, whether that be chemically, mentally or otherwise, but he cannot provide him with an answer - because he himself does not know the answer.

Diagnosis of physical health is much more accurate, and easier, than diagnosis of mental health for this reason. It's hard to falsify.
coopertroopa03
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I think that the general understanding of mental health needs to increase, as well as getting rid of the misconceptions/stereotypes that come with it. Of course a lot of people (mainly those who suffer or are close to sufferers of mental illness) are aware, but I hear so many people say 'I'm so OCD about that' or similar without a thought into how other people might feel. Most people don't mean it in a spiteful way but I think the awareness of how ANYONE can suffer, and how it really feels, needs to improve.
Take the ASDA 'mental patient' halloween costume, I understand it was banned but presenting us as axe-wielding maniacs really isn't going to help.

Rant over, sorry!
Posted from TSR Mobile
maculahealthcare
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Though the illness is little complex to understand for the others who are not aware of those psychological jargons, awareness is important to make them understand such psychological problems exist and how to deal with it as a family. People wouldn't have known they are affected with these mental disorders but still continue to look like normal human beings.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• SOAS University of London
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 May '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Thu, 30 May '19
  • Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Fri, 31 May '19

How did your AQA A-level Business Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (221)
22.97%
The paper was reasonable (430)
44.7%
Not feeling great about that exam... (174)
18.09%
It was TERRIBLE (137)
14.24%

Watched Threads