First class masters (80%) will this help me? Watch

tick700
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I have a law degree 2:1 (66%) and LLM with distinction (80%). Could anyone tell me what my chances are of a training contract?
myfyriwr
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Where did you study your various courses? Do you have any relevant extra-curricular experience? Have you done any vacations schemes? Do you have any language skills? Which firms are you thinking of applying to? Do you feel like you've got a fairly strong grasp on the 'commercial awareness', and are you confident at interview?

More of this kind of info is needed before anyone can gauge what your chances are!
Dopamine Dreams
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Honestly, an LL.M is quite an insignificant factor in securing a training contract. If you did it because of that, that's a waste of both time and money. Firms don't particularly care for LL.M's.
tick700
Rep:
?
(Original post by myfyriwr)
Where did you study your various courses? Do you have any relevant extra-curricular experience? Have you done any vacations schemes? Do you have any language skills? Which firms are you thinking of applying to? Do you feel like you've got a fairly strong grasp on the 'commercial awareness', and are you confident at interview?

More of this kind of info is needed before anyone can gauge what your chances are!
Studied the courses at Manchester uni
tick700
Rep:
?
(Original post by Dopamine Dreams)
Honestly, an LL.M is quite an insignificant factor in securing a training contract. If you did it because of that, that's a waste of both time and money. Firms don't particularly care for LL.M's.
I have an llm in intellectual property law, if that helps.
Dopamine Dreams
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by tick700)
I have an llm in intellectual property law, if that helps.
Not particularly! Sure it might help you once you're in the job but it's unlikely to be an important factor in securing a TC.
happyinthehaze
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
You know, firms don't ONLY recruit on academics! For many (most), that is only the starting point of what they are looking for. So, whereas I could say, your academics seem good, you really do have to look at the other areas indicated above PLUS your own personality - what are you like in a team? Are you good to work with? Can you be left in a room with a client? Are you going to bring any more work in? That kind of thing...
arrowhead
  • PS Reviewer
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by happyinthehaze)
You know, firms don't ONLY recruit on academics! For many (most), that is only the starting point of what they are looking for. So, whereas I could say, your academics seem good, you really do have to look at the other areas indicated above PLUS your own personality - what are you like in a team? Are you good to work with? Can you be left in a room with a client? Are you going to bring any more work in? That kind of thing...
:ditto:

I think your academic profile is fine. If you want a TC, it's the additional hoops that you have to jump: extracurriculars, competencies, shinning in interviews, etc. There's a lot more to it than just top grades.

I don't think your LLM will really make much of a difference tbh.
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

I LOVE a Black Friday deal (526)
46.96%
Nah, Black Friday is pointless (347)
30.98%
I don't have an opinion (247)
22.05%

Watched Threads