Fake offers in British stores Watch

Millie228
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I've been living in London for a couple of years now and have noticed something. It seems like they are often trying to pass off a regular price as a new price.

Where I'm from, this is illegal. You cannot say that an item is discounted if it is not.
Usually there will just be a sticker on top of the regular price so that you can clearly see what is the original price.
Going to Tesco, I see that there is a yellow note with the previous and new price but you can't actually see that the previous price was the real one. They've changed it out entirely so you can't actually check the original price.

Walking by the wine aisle I've thought about it a few times. They have wines that are listed as discounted from £9 to £6 or to £5. But I can recognize from the name, design and screwcork that they don't appear to be £9 wines at all. On a couple of occasions I have bought one, and sure enough from the taste, they are cheap wines.
I am wondering if they do this with foods as well or which other "tricks" they perform.

If someone thinks this is snobby, let me just say I'm merely stating a point here - that I think it is wrong to portray an item as high value than it is. It's actually a lie. You think you got a good offer, but you don't.

Anyone else noticed this?? Perhaps another foreigner?
Magenta96
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Millie228)
I've been living in London for a couple of years now and have noticed something. It seems like they are often trying to pass off a regular price as a new price.

Where I'm from, this is illegal. You cannot say that an item is discounted if it is not.
Usually there will just be a sticker on top of the regular price so that you can clearly see what is the original price.
Going to Tesco, I see that there is a yellow note with the previous and new price but you can't actually see that the previous price was the real one. They've changed it out entirely so you can't actually check the original price.

Walking by the wine aisle I've thought about it a few times. They have wines that are listed as discounted from £9 to £6 or to £5. But I can recognize from the name, design and screwcork that they don't appear to be £9 wines at all. On a couple of occasions I have bought one, and sure enough from the taste, they are cheap wines.
I am wondering if they do this with foods as well or which other "tricks" they perform.

If someone thinks this is snobby, let me just say I'm merely stating a point here - that I think it is wrong to portray an item as high value than it is. It's actually a lie. You think you got a good offer, but you don't.

Anyone else noticed this?? Perhaps another foreigner?
Yes, I was once in Paperchase in Manchester, and they apparently had this huge sale on, so I went to take a look at some stationary with a £10.00 price tag on and peeled the price tag off... to reveal the original price was £6.99. Not much of a difference but it was like this throughout the entire aisle which I thought was quite sly and strange.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Business Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (104)
19.01%
The paper was reasonable (275)
50.27%
Not feeling great about that exam... (109)
19.93%
It was TERRIBLE (59)
10.79%

Watched Threads