Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi I am a recent mathematics graduate but recently decided I wanted a career in financial management.

I obviously haven't studied any accounting, finance or management modules during university so am trying to do my own self study whilst applying for various graduate schemes.

I so far have read Accounting by Michael Jones to get a thorough basic introduction to both financial and management accounting.

Is there any other books one could recommend? Perhaps a book you have studied during university or perhaps you have experience in a financial management role and can help.

Many thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Is anyone able to comment here? I am spending my days applying for jobs but at the same time would love to spend two to three hours a day reading relevant material and enhancing my financial knowledge daily...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GregoryPeck)
    Is anyone able to comment here? I am spending my days applying for jobs but at the same time would love to spend two to three hours a day reading relevant material and enhancing my financial knowledge daily...
    Reading FT daily is a good place to start to get a general business grounding. If you don't understand a term then look it up online. Repeat until you feel you could confidently have an opinion and discuss the matter in the article.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GregoryPeck)
    Short answer no, I imagine most people in the careers section of the forum have not done accounting at uni and therefore have only accessed material provided by their learning provider.

If you really want recommendations on accountancy books I'd try over in the study section where you're more likely to get uni students who have reading lists/ core books etc.

Otherwise YouTube and Google will answer most questions, try searching for tutorials for the various accountancy qualifications... ACA, AAT, CIMA, CTA etc

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to finance and bankingGuide to accountancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

ICAEW

"Choose a career journey with limitless possibilities."

Quick link:

Unanswered finance and accountancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.