Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I've just been prescribed fluoxetine for my depresssion & I've obviously read through all the side effects. I was just concerned about the possibility of this worsening my mood as mentioned in the side effects. Having suffered with this before I was just wondering if anyone had actually experienced these with taking it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    How much have you been prescribed? I'm on 20mg a day and it didn't worsen my mood at all, I just became really tired/drowsy. I went to see Man of Steel at the cinema and fell asleep (even though I was enjoying it!).

ReputationRep:
    I'm on 20mg and so far I'm just drowsy and dizzy! So I'm hoping this is all I get. But we'll see.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bexx_xx)
    I'm on 20mg and so far I'm just drowsy and dizzy! So I'm hoping this is all I get. But we'll see.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You might want to give this thread a quick read if you've not already come across it:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=2516719

It's about a girl who has also just started Prozac for the first time. Generally speaking most people feel worse for 10 days or so before they feel better, but that's just temporary whilst your body acclimatises to it.

Citalopram and Venlafaxine, which are both very similar, made me very drowsy and ditsy and a little spaced out. It lasted for about 10 days but soon lifted. Just gotta hold on in there!

ReputationRep:
    I'm on 20mg and the only side affect I had was loss of appetite.

It's important to go back to your GP if you experience a lower mood.

There isn't much evidence to support the claims that AntiDs can make depression worse, it was more that the media blew everything up because they didn't work for a few people. Most AntiDs including Fluoxetine can take up to 6 weeks before an effect is seen. (From someone with a Psych Degree)

I was taking Citalopram, turns out I'm allergic to it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ciri)
    I'm on 20mg and the only side affect I had was loss of appetite.

It's important to go back to your GP if you experience a lower mood.

There isn't much evidence to support the claims that AntiDs can make depression worse, it was more that the media blew everything up because they didn't work for a few people. Most AntiDs including Fluoxetine can take up to 6 weeks before an effect is seen. (From someone with a Psych Degree)

I was taking Citalopram, turns out I'm allergic to it.
    I've never heard of anybody that has a true allergy to an SSRI, do you mind stating in what way you were allergic to it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dopamine Dreams)
    I've never heard of anybody that has a true allergy to an SSRI, do you mind stating in what way you were allergic to it?
    Itchiness and skin issues. I have a true allergy to ethanol as well.

I'm convinced that the other "side effects" weren't a sign of Serotonin Syndrome instead and my doctor was just trying to cover it up. I had hallucinations and thought I was flying which resulted in me falling down the stairs, palpitations, restlessness and shaking that sort of lovely thing to experience when you're in the middle of your A-Level exams. Went to the doc who dismissed it and told me I was lying and wanted to UP my dosage. It was ridiculous and I stopped them straight away. Started on Fluoxetine as I tried to cope by myself for a few years but depression just kept reoccuring.

ReputationRep:
    I was on Fluoxetine for a while and I was never aware of any side effects. I was advised to wait up to six weeks to notice any changes in my mood, although it didn't give me any negative symptoms I did get swapped onto something else, which has a sleep aid in it. So my brief year or so on Fluoxetine was fairly uneventful hope this helps!

ReputationRep:
    I've taken Fluoxetine, and all it produced was an awful mind numbing "every-little-thing...-s'gonna-be-al'right" mind-state, that reduced anxiety, but made me into a really careless deluded idiot. I heard it can lead to suicide (for some strange reason), but never came close to experiencing this myself.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 25, 2013
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.