A levels for study in USA? Watch

_Katie
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi, currently in Year 12 and thinking about applying to study in the US.

I'm confused about how the subject choices for undergraduate level work. Obviously, being from the UK, I would be applying having done A-levels rather than the US High School equivalent (not sure what this is), but how would this affect what I'll be able to study over there?
For example, evidently in the UK, you choose a degree in normally one subject (e.g. Chemistry), and you are required to have Chemistry A-level, and perhaps others that are somewhat related.
However, as I understand, in the US you 'major' in a particular subject, but this doesn't have to be designated from the outset. Does that mean you could take up subjects in your first year that you hadn't studied at A-level, and then potentially go on to major in these subjects?

Also, a question on financial aid. My household income is below £40,000 (~$65000), so would I be entitled to a bursary/aid? Also, if it isn't a complete bursary, would I still be eligible for a loan from the Student Loans Company if I were studying abroad?

Thankyou.
_Katie
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Bump?
GMT
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Sorry, no idea. (I write this to try and bump the thread)
feyy
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by _Katie)
Hi, currently in Year 12 and thinking about applying to study in the US.

I'm confused about how the subject choices for undergraduate level work. Obviously, being from the UK, I would be applying having done A-levels rather than the US High School equivalent (not sure what this is), but how would this affect what I'll be able to study over there?
For example, evidently in the UK, you choose a degree in normally one subject (e.g. Chemistry), and you are required to have Chemistry A-level, and perhaps others that are somewhat related.
However, as I understand, in the US you 'major' in a particular subject, but this doesn't have to be designated from the outset. Does that mean you could take up subjects in your first year that you hadn't studied at A-level, and then potentially go on to major in these subjects?
Yes, definitely.

Also, a question on financial aid. My household income is below £40,000 (~$65000), so would I be entitled to a bursary/aid? Also, if it isn't a complete bursary, would I still be eligible for a loan from the Student Loans Company if I were studying abroad?

Thankyou.
You won't be eligible for a UK student loan, but if you apply to US colleges which meet full demonstrated need for international students (Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Amherst, Dartmouth, MIT... and lesser known ones like Bates, Colby, Haverford, Gettysburg, etc) with that level of income you will receive very significant amounts of aid if you're admitted.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Business Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (161)
22.09%
The paper was reasonable (348)
47.74%
Not feeling great about that exam... (136)
18.66%
It was TERRIBLE (84)
11.52%

Watched Threads