The Student Room Group
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham

Can I get into Dental Surgery BDS at Birmingham Uni Undergraduate????????

Hello,

I really want to do dentistry at Birmingham uni. However I do not meet their GCSE requirements, of A*s for Biology and Chemistry, and A's for Mathematics and English Language.

I have an A in Additional Science and a B at Core Science (Double Award) and a B in English Language, although, I do meet the requirement of an A at mathematics.

I have two weeks of work experience booked during the Christmas holidays at a dental surgery, and I can acquire more for further holidays.

I am in year 12 at a grammar sixth form, if I can get a lot of work experience at a dentists surgery and A's at AS and A level, what is the chance I will be accepted into Birmingham Uni.

Are the GCSE requirements a complete 100% must?

Please people help me out ?
(edited 10 years ago)
Honestly, if you don't meet a unis requirements for a competitive course like Dentistry, I would avoid it. I'm currently studying Dentistry at Birmingham and it's a tough course to get on (like dentistry will be at any uni). Many people will exceed the requirements and not get in. If you had just scraped the requirements i'd say get as many work exp placements as you can as I was worried about my GCSEs so backed it up with 8 placements over a couple of years. Birmingham was my only offer. I was also predicted A*A*AA at A level so if you haven't met the GCSE requirements don't risk it and apply somewhere else where you do meet the requirements.

There is always the option of post graduate study as well although I believe this is also competitive. You can only make 4 applications for Dentistry so think carefully about the places you apply to. I'm sorry if this sounds kinda mean but it's best not to waste an application.
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham
Reply 2
Original post by Jenniferann232
Honestly, if you don't meet a unis requirements for a competitive course like Dentistry, I would avoid it. I'm currently studying Dentistry at Birmingham and it's a tough course to get on (like dentistry will be at any uni). Many people will exceed the requirements and not get in. If you had just scraped the requirements i'd say get as many work exp placements as you can as I was worried about my GCSEs so backed it up with 8 placements over a couple of years. Birmingham was my only offer. I was also predicted A*A*AA at A level so if you haven't met the GCSE requirements don't risk it and apply somewhere else where you do meet the requirements.

There is always the option of post graduate study as well although I believe this is also competitive. You can only make 4 applications for Dentistry so think carefully about the places you apply to. I'm sorry if this sounds kinda mean but it's best not to waste an application.

thank you for your honest reply i was really looking forward to studying dentistry at birmingham. really gutted. isnt there any possible chance that i could have a higher chance of getting in?
Original post by smartie97
thank you for your honest reply i was really looking forward to studying dentistry at birmingham. really gutted. isnt there any possible chance that i could have a higher chance of getting in?

If you're worried about it, ring the admissions people at Birmingham and ask what they think your chances would be, they will obviously know a lot more than I do but when I applied for unis I wouldn't apply anywhere where I didn't feel I had a good chance. I have heard some unis that take the UKCAT into consideration sometimes use this to balance out slightly lower GCSE grades, if you score very highly in it. Well, that's what Kings did when I was looking to apply anyway (I didn't in the end as I felt it was a big risk for me to take)
Also you will be applying in Oct 2014 so the grade requirements may change again to be slightly higher.

Ultimately, it's your decision :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending