Contract Law Coursework Help - Offer & Acceptance! Watch

sammey9091
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I have a coursework question that i really need help on, it is based on offer & acceptance and intent. The question is as follows:

On June 1st, Lemon places an advertisement in the musical press stating: "I wish to sell the rights in my new musical work for a minimum of £5,000. First come, first served". Harrison sends a fax to Lemon on June 2nd stating that he wishes to "accept the terms as stated in your advert without further delay". Later that day Lemon receives a phone call from Starr, offering £5,500 for the work.
On June 8th Lemon accepts Starr’s offer, posting a letter, and saying: "I accept at £5,500, this figure to exclude USA rights". Later that evening Harrison e-mails Lemon offering £6,000. Lemon immediately e-mails his acceptance of this offer, sent at 19.00 pm on the same day, and withdraws his acceptance of Starr’s offer by sending a fax at 20.00 p.m., in which he says: "Ignore my recent acceptance - deal off".

On June 9th, at 8.00 am, Lemon telephones Harrison and leaves the following recorded message: “Sorry – but I have decided not to sell”. On June 10th, Lemon receives a postcard from Starr Ltd which states: “Apologies if you have been trying to contact me but my fax machine is broken. Thanks for your acceptance - I will arrange payment”.
Advise Lemon whether he has a contract with either, or both, of the above parties.

I know that the advertisement is an invitation to treat, but that is about it. Also i cannot really find any cases to do with termination of the contract.
Someone please help me, I need it written and in by the 9th!
Please & Thank You!!!
TSR Learn Together
  •  Official Rep
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hi there,

While you're waiting for an answer, did you know we have 300,000 study resources that could answer your question in TSR's Learn together section?

We have everything from Teacher Marked Essays to Mindmaps and Quizzes to help you with your work. Take a look around.

If you're stuck on how to get started, try creating some resources. It's free to do and can help breakdown tough topics into manageable chunks. Get creating now.

Thanks!

Not sure what all of this is about? Head here to find out more.
cliffg
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by sammey9091)
I have a coursework question that i really need help on, it is based on offer & acceptance and intent. The question is as follows:

On June 1st, Lemon places an advertisement in the musical press stating: "I wish to sell the rights in my new musical work for a minimum of £5,000. First come, first served". Harrison sends a fax to Lemon on June 2nd stating that he wishes to "accept the terms as stated in your advert without further delay". Later that day Lemon receives a phone call from Starr, offering £5,500 for the work.
On June 8th Lemon accepts Starr’s offer, posting a letter, and saying: "I accept at £5,500, this figure to exclude USA rights". Later that evening Harrison e-mails Lemon offering £6,000. Lemon immediately e-mails his acceptance of this offer, sent at 19.00 pm on the same day, and withdraws his acceptance of Starr’s offer by sending a fax at 20.00 p.m., in which he says: "Ignore my recent acceptance - deal off".

On June 9th, at 8.00 am, Lemon telephones Harrison and leaves the following recorded message: “Sorry – but I have decided not to sell”. On June 10th, Lemon receives a postcard from Starr Ltd which states: “Apologies if you have been trying to contact me but my fax machine is broken. Thanks for your acceptance - I will arrange payment”.
Advise Lemon whether he has a contract with either, or both, of the above parties.

I know that the advertisement is an invitation to treat, but that is about it. Also i cannot really find any cases to do with termination of the contract.
Someone please help me, I need it written and in by the 9th!
Please & Thank You!!!
Is Adrian Chandler teaching you, by any chance? I recognise this question from 4 years ago. If so, PM me. I'll give you a hand, rather than write it all here.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• SOAS University of London
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 May '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Thu, 30 May '19
  • Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Fri, 31 May '19

How did your AQA A-level Business Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (200)
22.57%
The paper was reasonable (402)
45.37%
Not feeling great about that exam... (165)
18.62%
It was TERRIBLE (119)
13.43%

Watched Threads