Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Didi Hamann's piece in the Independent in strikingly correct and honest of the differences between I guess, an English player and a German player.

He's spot on with how Gascoigne and Ballack responded to knowing they would not play in the WC final, Gascoigne it didn't matter as they didn't make it.

Yet Gascoigne won Sports Personality of the Year award in 1990 and too young to remember the 90 WC but how did he actually do? Worthy for the adulation he received, which seems mostly for his tears than performances.

Ballack as a player was always worth admiring but the way he performed after the booking has seen him rise in my estimation. Reminded me of Roy Keane in Turin in 1999 semi-final who helped drag us through to the CL final.

Thoughts?

ReputationRep:
    Largely utter BS.

Gazza has undue undue adulation. I would agree with that.

I don't buy into society and all that bs.

It's virtually always due to the players being overrated and sometimes the tactics in a match.

Let's take the last World Cup against Germany. Nothing to do with players being individuals or the team not being good enough.

It was really due to John Terry being an incompetent defender for most of the German goals and Capello failing to deal with a German counter attack.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aky786UK)
    Didi Hamann's piece in the Independent in strikingly correct and honest of the differences between I guess, an English player and a German player.

He's spot on with how Gascoigne and Ballack responded to knowing they would not play in the WC final, Gascoigne it didn't matter as they didn't make it.

Yet Gascoigne won Sports Personality of the Year award in 1990 and too young to remember the 90 WC but how did he actually do? Worthy for the adulation he received, which seems mostly for his tears than performances.

Ballack as a player was always worth admiring but the way he performed after the booking has seen him rise in my estimation. Reminded me of Roy Keane in Turin in 1999 semi-final who helped drag us through to the CL final.

Thoughts?
    While he may have a decent general point, it is unfair to use Paul Gascoigne, a man well known for his emotionality and immaturity (his problems having roots that go back to his childhood). If it were, say, Linekar, Shearer, Beckham or Gerrard who'd been in that situation I'm not sure if they'd have the same reaction Gazza had.

Though his comments seem to be not so much about Gazza, but also how the English public still adored him. In this sense, perhaps he has a point. But there was something very endearing about Paul Gascoigne. Besides, he was a young player with immense potential. Had we tossed him aside in the way Hamann suggests the Germans would have, that would have surely been the end of his career. What's wrong with showing support to a young player? We support our players, generally.

*David Beckham being an exception, because of his club, good lucks and pop start girlfriend :p:

Though I disagree when you say it didn't matter with Gascoigne as England lost. Who's to say what would have happened had he kept his composure?

ReputationRep:
    I wince every time I read about the following events
    Back in the quiet of the dressing room, though, Michael was heartbroken. That year with Leverkusen he had lost out on the Bundesliga title on the final day of the season, lost the German Cup final to Schalke and lost the Champions League final to Real Madrid. Now he had to miss the World Cup final. Yes, he shed a tear or two, but only after he had done the business for his team. That's what you call a hero.
    That must have been horrible. I can't feel his pain but that's some serious emotional trauma right there. The fact that he got back up and was the second best player in the World Cup after that club season is a tribute to him. He's a nearly man, but through little fault of his own. Inspirational guy. Another note is that this happened to him again, in 2008, where he finished runner up in 4 trophies for club and country.

ReputationRep:
    It's the measure of a man really. Gazza a mentally weak personality who doesnt understand sacrifice. Ballack/Keane strong, responsible team players who have their eye on the bigger picture.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: November 23, 2013
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Football Discussions
Football League

The Football League

For all conversation about the English football league.

Fantasy Football

TSR's Fantasy Football League

Clean sheets, bonus points and captain picks, discuss it all here.

Predictions

TSR's Football Predictions Competition

Get your crystal balls out and win a prize!

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.