cuboids Watch

ajread
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
:confused:How can I find the volume of a cuboid when I know the area of its faces? Also, how can I find the dimensions of a cuboid when I know the perimeters of its faces? Can anyone help? Thanks.
brianeverit
  • Study Helper
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by ajread)
:confused:How can I find the volume of a cuboid when I know the area of its faces? Also, how can I find the dimensions of a cuboid when I know the perimeters of its faces? Can anyone help? Thanks.
If the faces are squares you can square root the area to find the length of the sides or divide the perimeter by 4. If they are not squares it cannot be done without more information.
ajread
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by brianeverit)
If the faces are squares you can square root the area to find the length of the sides or divide the perimeter by 4. If they are not squares it cannot be done without more information.
Thanks. The question says the cuboids faces have areas of 36cm2 24cm2 and 48cm2. Find its volume. I'm stumped! The other question says faces have perimeters 8cm, 6cm and 10cm. Find its dimensions.
TenOfThem
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Thanks. The question says the cuboids faces have areas of 36cm2 24cm2 and 48cm2. Find its volume. I'm stumped! The other question says faces have perimeters 8cm, 6cm and 10cm. Find its dimensions.
ab = 36
bc = 24
ca = 48
brianeverit
  • Study Helper
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
If the cuboid has edges of length x,y,z then the volume is xyz and the areas of the faces are xy,yz and zx so we can see that the product of the three areas is the square of the volume hence
volume =\sqrt(36 \times 24\times 48)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Arts University Bournemouth
    Art and Design Foundation Diploma Further education
    Sat, 25 May '19
  • SOAS University of London
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 May '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Thu, 30 May '19

How did your AQA GCSE Physics Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (491)
31.1%
The paper was reasonable (608)
38.51%
Not feeling great about that exam... (258)
16.34%
It was TERRIBLE (222)
14.06%

Watched Threads