Brother wants me to design his tattoo, our parents against tattoos Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi all

I have a good relationship with all of my family members, we are all pretty close knit since my eldest brother had an almost fatal accident four years ago. He has now recovered and the accident has become something that will hang over us all forever. Because of this, he wants to commemorate it by getting a sleeve tattoo down his arm. As a family we don't have anything against tattoos, but nobody in our family has one, and my parents have always asked us not to (they are quite traditional parents).

However the big conundrum is that he wants me to design it for him in secret, because I happen to be good at drawing. But I don't want him to get a tattoo, (especially so big at first!) because he just wouldn't suit it, and it would upset my parents as it will permanently remind them of what happened.

So really, if I didn't design it, he would have one done anyway by someone else but at least I would have had no part in it. But at the same time I don't want anyone else to design it because I know what it was that we all went through and I wouldn't want anyone else to portray it.

I hope this makes sense. I just don't know what to do!
ANON15
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Hi all

I have a good relationship with all of my family members, we are all pretty close knit since my eldest brother had an almost fatal accident four years ago. He has now recovered and the accident has become something that will hang over us all forever. Because of this, he wants to commemorate it by getting a sleeve tattoo down his arm. As a family we don't have anything against tattoos, but nobody in our family has one, and my parents have always asked us not to (they are quite traditional parents).

However the big conundrum is that he wants me to design it for him in secret, because I happen to be good at drawing. But I don't want him to get a tattoo, (especially so big at first!) because he just wouldn't suit it, and it would upset my parents as it will permanently remind them of what happened.

So really, if I didn't design it, he would have one done anyway by someone else but at least I would have had no part in it. But at the same time I don't want anyone else to design it because I know what it was that we all went through and I wouldn't want anyone else to portray it.

I hope this makes sense. I just don't know what to do!
Tell him how you feel about it and remind him what your parents think. Sit down as family and discuss it and see what happens
Lotus_Eater
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Assuming everyone here is over 16 then your parents will just have to get over it. If you don't want to help design it then don't but since he's going to do it anyway I think it would be cool to have designed it.

Since you said the accident will hang over the family 'forever' then it doesn't really matter that the tattoo reminds them of it. As traumatic as it was for everyone else, ultimately it was him who nearly died and he has the right to commemorate that anyway he likes.
Viva Emptiness
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'm under the impression (could be wrong - probably am), that any reputable tattoo studio/artist will not do a full sleeve on someone who has never had a tattoo before. You might a get reprieve there, unless they go to a shady artist, in which case your parents are the least of your problems...
Origami Bullets
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
If your brother is over 18 then it's really nothing to do with your parents. However, as you're not comfortable with it, I really think that you should sit down with your brother and tell him what you've told us.
UK_Menna
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
It's his life. If he wants that tattoo you should support him with it. Be honoured he wants you to use your (I'm sure) amazing arty skills to help contribute to something that means a lot to him. Do talk to him about how you feel though

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Business Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (200)
22.55%
The paper was reasonable (403)
45.43%
Not feeling great about that exam... (165)
18.6%
It was TERRIBLE (119)
13.42%

Watched Threads