really struggling with AS art? Watch

meganmoo
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I did not take Art as GCSE because my mum would not let me at the time even though i wanted to, but despite this i really wanted to take it as A-level and after showing the A-level art teacher some of my art work i had done at home i was allowed to take it even though you are supposed to have passed GCSE in order to be able to take it for AS. I am aspiring to pursue a career in fashion and my other subjects i have taken are textiles, photography and extended project(so A LOT of work outside of classes!) Anyway I am now really struggling with Art and have had an emotional break down because of it, i don't know what to do? like i pretty much know what i want to do for my final piece but am very very very behind/ wasn't really aware of all of the other little things you have to do as well? someone please help me? i have been told i need to do some sort of portfolio or something? what type of things do i need to put in it? im so lost!?
Smile_124
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Calm down. Go to your teacher and speak to her about your problems and where to go from there.
Flauta
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by meganmoo)
I did not take Art as GCSE because my mum would not let me at the time even though i wanted to, but despite this i really wanted to take it as A-level and after showing the A-level art teacher some of my art work i had done at home i was allowed to take it even though you are supposed to have passed GCSE in order to be able to take it for AS. I am aspiring to pursue a career in fashion and my other subjects i have taken are textiles, photography and extended project(so A LOT of work outside of classes!) Anyway I am now really struggling with Art and have had an emotional break down because of it, i don't know what to do? like i pretty much know what i want to do for my final piece but am very very very behind/ wasn't really aware of all of the other little things you have to do as well? someone please help me? i have been told i need to do some sort of portfolio or something? what type of things do i need to put in it? im so lost!?
What have you chosen as your topic for your portfolio? You might like to buy a sketchbook for quick drawings/watercolours of things that relate to your topic, it's a good way of bulking it up, developing ideas and practising your technique for the bigger pieces (that's what my sister made me do for my GCSE).

Try to do 1-2 hours work everyday for it, and don't get stressed about it, use the time as a way to relax in the evening I don't take the A-level but I still like to sit and draw in the evenings, it's therapeutic.

Talk to your teacher about it too, they're there to help.
meganmoo
Rep:
?
(Original post by Smile_124)
Calm down. Go to your teacher and speak to her about your problems and where to go from there.
i have tried to ask her loads of times and she never gives me the clear answer i need! its always 'you just need to get all your ideas together' and then she is one of those people that goes off on a tangent and by the end of it i still have no clue of what to do but have been filled in on her whole life story -_-
meganmoo
Rep:
?
(Original post by Flauta)
What have you chosen as your topic for your portfolio? You might like to buy a sketchbook for quick drawings/watercolours of things that relate to your topic, it's a good way of bulking it up, developing ideas and practising your technique for the bigger pieces (that's what my sister made me do for my GCSE).

Try to do 1-2 hours work everyday for it, and don't get stressed about it, use the time as a way to relax in the evening I don't take the A-level but I still like to sit and draw in the evenings, it's therapeutic.

Talk to your teacher about it too, they're there to help.
i am doing it based on mother nature where my woman is like a part of the earth, all very woodlandy. and thank you! i am going to buy a big sketch book this weekend
Tarquin Digby
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Should have done maths.
EliseChocolate
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
What exam board are you on? If it's Edcexcel I might be able to help coz I got an A last year for AS The most important things we had to do was make sure we had a lot of primary observations, not just things from the internet. Relevant artist links are another big thing. Make sure you have a sketchbook where you show a clear progression of your idea from start to finish. I know art teachers can be a bit all over the place, luckily I have two so I can always get a second opinion. I would go online and find the course outline thing and make sure you're hitting all the Assessment Objectives. Hope this helps
Flauta
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
i am doing it based on mother nature where my woman is like a part of the earth, all very woodlandy. and thank you! i am going to buy a big sketch book this weekend
That's a good topic. Have you got any idea how you might develop it for your future pieces? I mean things like climate change and destruction of the rainforests/animals' habitats are quite current issues
hannahchan
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Tarquin Digby)
Should have done maths.
please.. maths is boring. Just because you can add a bunch of numbers it doesnt make you any more of a person than someone who does art.
Tarquin Digby
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by hannahchan)
please.. maths is boring. Just because you can add a bunch of numbers it doesnt make you any more of a person than someone who does art.
Are you really that stupid?

Hardly surprising you're an art student.
meganmoo
Rep:
?
(Original post by EliseChocolate)
What exam board are you on? If it's Edcexcel I might be able to help coz I got an A last year for AS The most important things we had to do was make sure we had a lot of primary observations, not just things from the internet. Relevant artist links are another big thing. Make sure you have a sketchbook where you show a clear progression of your idea from start to finish. I know art teachers can be a bit all over the place, luckily I have two so I can always get a second opinion. I would go online and find the course outline thing and make sure you're hitting all the Assessment Objectives. Hope this helps
i think so, 'fine art' its called thank you! that has actually really helped! i know what im going to be on with tomorrow in my frees then thanks a lot
meganmoo
Rep:
?
Should have done maths.
yeah because maths is really going to help me in a career in fashion! brain box
BainesL
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
At AS-level you need to submit coursework, but if you already have an idea for what your final piece will be, you just have to work backwards. Key things to include should be observational drawings and compositions in a variety of medium, but don't feel too stressed about experimenting a lot, you're trying to develop your individual style instead of demonstrating your aptitude in general. Analysing the stages, so initial ideas (brainstorming), development (refined ideas), final plan and a sketch of the final piece always goes down well. Link your work to artists as much as possible as well; if your creating a sketchpad or portfolio pay attention to detail, mount your work on card to make it look more professional and crisp or blend it into backgrounds and fill empty space with interesting scrap materials and oddities. However you decide to proceed, just remember it is your work and if you are passionate enough to develop your art at home, you can be dedicated enough to produce content worthy of an A at AS. Good Luck!!!
meganmoo
Rep:
?
(Original post by Flauta)
That's a good topic. Have you got any idea how you might develop it for your future pieces? I mean things like climate change and destruction of the rainforests/animals' habitats are quite current issues
thank you and well in some of salvador dali's work he has woman who are holding up the earth(large piece of land) and on it their are things like fair grounds and other things that look like they are weighing her down which kind of inspired me too so i could go in to something like that but at the moment it more all natural things and they are like apart of her (i used a model and then photoshopped her on to a background and photoshopped all of the natural objects on to her) and it more about mother nature being beautiful and powerful
Flauta
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

You know that you can take maths without being a prick towards people that prefer creative subjects? I manage it.
meganmoo
Rep:
?
(Original post by BainesL)
At AS-level you need to submit coursework, but if you already have an idea for what your final piece will be, you just have to work backwards. Key things to include should be observational drawings and compositions in a variety of medium, but don't feel too stressed about experimenting a lot, you're trying to develop your individual style instead of demonstrating your aptitude in general. Analysing the stages, so initial ideas (brainstorming), development (refined ideas), final plan and a sketch of the final piece always goes down well. Link your work to artists as much as possible as well; if your creating a sketchpad or portfolio pay attention to detail, mount your work on card to make it look more professional and crisp or blend it into backgrounds and fill empty space with interesting scrap materials and oddities. However you decide to proceed, just remember it is your work and if you are passionate enough to develop your art at home, you can be dedicated enough to produce content worthy of an A at AS. Good Luck!!!
this has really helped a lot! thank you so much!
Magnesium
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

Being an art student doesn't automatically qualify someone as stupid.
Flauta
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Couldn't help noticing 'complex analysis is beautiful' on your profile. I hope you didn't mention complex analysis on your personal statement.
How lovely. Betting you're one of these people that supposes that I can't be good at maths because I'm not applying to Cambridge.
LucyTheWeird
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

You do know that being clever and being good at art aren't mutually exclusive, right?

I mean, I'm good at academic subjects and I'm also good at drawing. There are many people like this, you know!

I'm so sick of the 'clever people vs creative people' thing - it's complete bull****.
glitterphobia
  • PS Reviewer
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
this has really helped a lot! thank you so much!
Hi, I got an A at Fine Art a couple of years back and before that at another college I got an E because the teachers didn't tell us what we should have done at all! So I know how you feel.

I'll give you a list of things to do that will make up the framework of a good sketchbook (because believe it or not, that is what usually gets you the grade rather than your final piece!).

• Make sure your sketchbook is A3 (A2 can seem too big to keep adding to!)
  • Title page (the name of the project and some pictures - have a search on weheartit.com or google images of your title and think of lots of interpretations)
  • Do a big brainstorm (about 2 pages) of your interpretations of the title - even more pictures!)
  • Secondary research (this is anything you can find from the different things on your brainstorm from magazines, newspapers, website articles, fabrics, quotes) Make sure you don't just cover your pages in the magazines, try painting them, monoprinting them, use different fonts, write over them, rubbings. AND ANNOTATE!
  • Make sure you write short and long annotations, explaining why this photo/art inspired you and what it's going to make you do next.
  • Next look at some general artists to do with your theme. I'm sure your art teacher will give you a list of good artists to work with. Write short snipbits generally about them and what their work entails. Again, don't be too narrow with it - look at artists that are broadly based on the subject.
  • Primary Research. Take some photographs and drawings (again broadly about the subject), inspired by your secondary research and artists. Make sure you use as many ways as possible to experiment - monoprint, pencil, crayon, models, paint, ink, water and felt tips… anything you can find in your art classroom.
  • More Secondary Research. Write out your chosen subject (Mother Nature) from your list of things you have researched before and add in yet more magazines/newspaper rippings/materials/photographs/receipts etc.
  • Create some artwork from your secondary research
  • More Primary Research. Take some more photographs based on your chosen theme. Do some drawings on different textures - newspaper with emulsion, fabric, tracing paper etc.
  • Artists - look at artists based on your theme. Give them a couple of pages each and make the pages photographs of their work and the rest of it an analysis of their work. Then add your studies inspired by them after.
  • Inspired by your artists, fill your pages with different types of art you have done. (e.g. line drawings, monoprints, different backgrounds, dark paper and chalk, using carrier bags for backgrounds, layering)
  • Make a page just talking about a review of what you have done so far and what you are going to refine from it.
  • More experiments! Refined from what you have done before. (Can you make what you've done better by adding water to your drawings to smudge them? Create another texture?)
  • More artists. (I felt I needed some more inspiration so I looked at some more artists now I had a better idea of what I was doing)
  • Another review and refine!
  • Experiment with what your final piece is going to be. Make sure you try everything, even if you know you don't want to use it (you can analyse it and say you don't think it was successful)
  • Proposal of your final piece
  • Evaluation of your final piece after you've done it.

Just make sure you look broadly at the subject and narrow it down further by out ruling the things you don't want to use

I hope this helped, I just went through my sketchbook so sorry if it seems long winded!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• SOAS University of London
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 May '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Thu, 30 May '19
  • Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Fri, 31 May '19

How did your AQA A-level Business Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (189)
22.74%
The paper was reasonable (383)
46.09%
Not feeling great about that exam... (154)
18.53%
It was TERRIBLE (105)
12.64%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise