Some observations on the spoken English after 5 months of being here Watch

IntoTheWater
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Spoiler:
Show
Yeah, I've been trying to acquire a British accent. I know that there are many of them but a lot of people has a neutral, light accent which I find very nice. I'm not sure if that is a specific accent but it seems to be standard enough for me (the kind that you could find in English-teaching programmes).

I've been passed as a native for several times but things always started to give away after about 1 min or so of the conversation. And well, isn't passing as a native the ultimate goal of a language learner? I have a very extensive vocabulary of the English language and I dare say that my reading comprehension is on par with an average British student. However, speaking is so much harder...

Comment on these. Anything. Do people speak like this in your place? Do any of these sound chav-ish? Any other things you notice?

- Letters are sometimes omitted: like how written is writ-en ('t' is silent) and photo is pho-o

- 'Th' is actually 'f': nobody says 'thank you', it's always 'fank you'. And 'thought' is actually pronounced as 'fought'. When I say 'thank you' people comment that I sound American.

- This is probably a Mancunian thing, but the intonation is usually dropped really dramatically at the end of the sentence. For example 'I am a student', 'stu' is pronounced like you are being strangled and 'dent' sounds really high in compare to it.

- People use a lot of 'innit' and 'you know what i mean'.

That's all I can think of now Also, this is irrelevant but I feel like I need to release my anger. How do you f*cking pronounce the word 'crisp'? Gosh, such a weird word? It's gotten to the point when I actually feel ashamed to buy crisps when there's a queue behind me
IntoTheWater
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Oh and this too lol, Manchester has such an extensive range of swear words haha. It makes me feel like a noob. I thought that I'd already known loads from TSR.
PinkMobilePhone
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
- Letters are sometimes omitted: like how written is writ-en ('t' is silent) and photo is pho-o
pho-o sounds very mancunian

- 'Th' is actually 'f': nobody says 'thank you', it's always 'fank you'. And 'thought' is actually pronounced as 'fought'. When I say 'thank you' people comment that I sound American.
this screams chavvy. Please please don't use F instead of TH. I can't tell you how much I hate hearing that.

- This is probably a Mancunian thing, but the intonation is usually dropped really dramatically at the end of the sentence. For example 'I am a student', 'stu' is pronounced like you are being strangled and 'dent' sounds really high in compare to it.
can't quite gather what you mean here

- People use a lot of 'innit' and 'you know what i mean'.
innit again screams chavvy.

That's all I can think of now Also, this is irrelevant but I feel like I need to release my anger. How do you f*cking pronounce the word 'crisp'? Gosh, such a weird word? It's gotten to the point when I actually feel ashamed to buy crisps when there's a queue behind me
crisp is pronounced the way it's written. cr-isp. Not really sure how else to describe it.

Basically you're picking up on things that people do (exchanging TH for F and so on) if they're *******ising the English language. Not all native speakers do this! Honestly!

NB : This is how I speak :

Spoiler:
Show

You're very much limiting yourself to developing a mancunian accent at the moment. Different regions have very different regional accents.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Business Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (221)
23%
The paper was reasonable (429)
44.64%
Not feeling great about that exam... (174)
18.11%
It was TERRIBLE (137)
14.26%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise