Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    So, basically, I've been in the UK for some time now. My English is generally really good and have absolutely no problem understanding people. Still, I've been struggling to speak to people in group and how to deal with the British coldness/shyness.

Today, I was sitting with some guys on the library and I was sooo confused. I got the gist of everything they said but gosh, it would be an understatement to say that they spoke fast. They jumped from one topic to another in seconds and I swear that the speed is 10x the speed of machine guns! While that was actually fun and I understood everything, it was really hard to butt in. I don't know why... It's kinda hard to think of anything witty to say in time before they move on to something else. The Mancunian accent doesn't help either! I mean, charlieissocoollike's videos are easy to get even when he speaks fast, but I feel like sometimes people here distort words and ramble a lot.

Usually, I'm just not that bother with talking a lot. But this is a new place and I want to be invited to wild stuff and make life fun! Any tips would be very much appreciated.

My second problem is I don't know if people are shy are they actually want to avoid me. And it's worse that sometimes I'm shy myself. I'm pretty sure that some people do avoid me now because I acted a bit awkward around them before. But is it because they are shy because they think that I'm cold OR they are not interested? I have always been so confident but it's tricky to be that way here when every other room is either filled with people who avoid looking at each other by looking at their phones instead or with people who have already known each other!

Also I would also appreciate some pointers. How would you start a convo in an interesting way? I'm kinda sick of thinking of funny remarks on the weather and ask ' do we have any homework?' to every single person I've met.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.