The Student Room Group

help with picking alevels please?

I'm currently a year 11 student. I want to take English Language, Sociology and Psychology. I have no idea what to take for my fourth subject and would really like some help or some info on what these subjects are going to be like. I've already got an A in English Language IGCSE but don't take sociology or psychology. Would I find it harder that people who did sociology as a gcse? Please help?!?!?:s-smilie::smile:

Scroll to see replies

A language?!?

Studying a language at a levels makes a student stand out, shows that you're cultured. I think a European language would look great with those choices :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Somegirl123
I'm currently a year 11 student. I want to take English Language, Sociology and Psychology. I have no idea what to take for my fourth subject and would really like some help or some info on what these subjects are going to be like. I've already got an A in English Language IGCSE but don't take sociology or psychology. Would I find it harder that people who did sociology as a gcse? Please help?!?!?:s-smilie::smile:

What do you want to do at after college/sixth form?

You do not require sociology or psychology at all for gcse. Doesnt really help i reckon anyways.
Reply 3
I do sociology as a GCSE, it's good, but if you don't have a good enough memory to remember all the terms and theories for the exam you're screwed! (I seem to be forgetting everything but I have a mock exam in two weeks, moment of truth!)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by harrietainsley
A language?!?

Studying a language at a levels makes a student stand out, shows that you're cultured. I think a European language would look great with those choices :smile:

i'm taking german for gcse and am so bad at it so i cant take a language:frown:
Reply 5
Original post by staticas
I do sociology as a GCSE, it's good, but if you don't have a good enough memory to remember all the terms and theories for the exam you're screwed! (I seem to be forgetting everything but I have a mock exam in two weeks, moment of truth!)

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think i will be fine with the memory thing. I usually remember everything the day before the exam and forget it the day after. Atleast then the exam is over hahah
if you like science i would take chem- my favourite atm

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
What would you like to study at university? If it is social science based i.e. sociology/psychology, a science would help, possibly Biology?
Reply 8
Original post by Jkizer
What do you want to do at after college/sixth form?

You do not require sociology or psychology at all for gcse. Doesnt really help i reckon anyways.

I have no idea what I would like to do :frown:. But i am best at essay writing type of subjects and do not like science. I can tolerate biology but physics and chemistry is just crap in my opinion. I'm good at it but just really dislike it.
Do you know what those subjects could lead to, i mean degree or job wise?
Reply 9
Original post by elia
What would you like to study at university? If it is social science based i.e. sociology/psychology, a science would help, possibly Biology?

I don't know what I want to study at uni. Do you have any ideas?
Reply 10
Original post by callmemorbid
if you like science i would take chem- my favourite atm

Posted from TSR Mobile

i really don't like science. I can only tolerate biology. I really don't like the rest. I don't even like biology but its the best out of all 3 in my opinion.
Reply 11
The course content for psychology is interesting, but the best way to learn is to just keep writing out the same essays over and over and it's really boring and tedious and I had more important things to do with my time, especially as I'm a more science person so find exams where you have to actually work stuff out rather than repeating the same essay everyone is, a lot easier.
Reply 12
I don't know what I want to study at uni. Do you have any ideas?

I couldn't possibly answer that question, but I found when I decided on what I wanted to do at Uni next year I chose a subject that interested me, I was decent at and would get me a job (Economics). There is no rush to make a decision on uni, but knowing what kind of course you want to take will help with your fourth choice.
I have no idea what I would like to do :frown:. But i am best at essay writing type of subjects and do not like science. I can tolerate biology but physics and chemistry is just crap in my opinion. I'm good at it but just really dislike it.
Do you know what those subjects could lead to, i mean degree or job wise?

I think humanities are obviously best for you then :smile: tbh, sociology, english lang and psychology are not strong subjects, but if you don't really care about that stuff, and it's what you want to do, then go for it!
Other subjects to consider which are humanities and facilitating (so they're flexible in terms of what you decide to do after A levels - can fit a wide range of degrees/jobs):
- Philosophy
- English Literature
- History - would recommend :smile:
- Geography
- Religious Studies
- Politics
- Economics??

:smile:
Reply 14
Original post by LovePeaceAwesome
I think humanities are obviously best for you then :smile: tbh, sociology, english lang and psychology are not strong subjects, but if you don't really care about that stuff, and it's what you want to do, then go for it!
Other subjects to consider which are humanities and facilitating (so they're flexible in terms of what you decide to do after A levels - can fit a wide range of degrees/jobs):
- Philosophy
- English Literature
- History - would recommend :smile:
- Geography
- Religious Studies
- Politics
- Economics??

:smile:

isn't english lang and psychology regarded as strong subjects? Also im thinking of taking R.S or history
i really don't like science. I can only tolerate biology. I really don't like the rest. I don't even like biology but its the best out of all 3 in my opinion.

if youre taking eng lang, then you could take history too? i do history and really enjoy it
isn't english lang and psychology regarded as strong subjects? Also im thinking of taking R.S or history

No they're not; they're kind of middle ground - not as high as say, philosophy, but not as low as like film studies.
Reply 17
It completely depends on what you're looking at doing, your strengths, weaknesses and what you enjoy.
I do Maths, Further Maths, Economics and Physics. Your ideal subject is something that will look good when applying to universities (If you're finding it tough to find something, stick with the traditional subjects!), and something you could do well in - Don't choose to study maths if you're barely scraping a C at GCSE, it obviously isn't your strong point!

And unless you're moving to a college/sixth form which has a secondary school (which offers sociology or psychology at GCSE), you won't be expected to have covered it, so you'll be starting from the basics whatever. A lot of my friends from senior school have done psychology and a few have done sociology... none of them find it as good as they thought it would be, but that's not to stop you, some people love it! But they hadn't done it at GCSE and they're not finding it too taxing!
Reply 18
A lot of universities these days are asking for the 3 core sciences. But I'm more of a scientist so don't really know much about other areas :tongue: Oxbridge advised me to take a modern subject, a traditional one and a language. Here's what I learnt from them.

Psychology (Modern Subject) - Pretty useless when it came down to it. I now have a degree in Psychology and didn't need the subject to get in at all.

History (Traditional Subject) - Lots of reading. Early History was focused mostly on religion though rather than history itself.

Law - Pain in the backside. The reading was very complicated (tbf. i had undiagnosed dyslexia). The exams are very straightforward though.

French - Holy motherf*cker worst choice ever. There is a massive step between GCSE and AS Level French. It actually had me in tears and I nearly dropped out several times because my teacher was awful as well.

Regardless of what you do, make sure you take at least 1 science. If you look on UCAS it is a vey common requirement. If you want to do a science subject at uni, make sure you do 2 sciences.
Reply 19
Original post by Ciri
A lot of universities these days are asking for the 3 core sciences. But I'm more of a scientist so don't really know much about other areas :tongue: Oxbridge advised me to take a modern subject, a traditional one and a language. Here's what I learnt from them.

Psychology (Modern Subject) - Pretty useless when it came down to it. I now have a degree in Psychology and didn't need the subject to get in at all.

History (Traditional Subject) - Lots of reading. Early History was focused mostly on religion though rather than history itself.

Law - Pain in the backside. The reading was very complicated (tbf. i had undiagnosed dyslexia). The exams are very straightforward though.

French - Holy motherf*cker worst choice ever. There is a massive step between GCSE and AS Level French. It actually had me in tears and I nearly dropped out several times because my teacher was awful as well.

Regardless of what you do, make sure you take at least 1 science. If you look on UCAS it is a vey common requirement. If you want to do a science subject at uni, make sure you do 2 sciences.

psychology is regarded a science, right?

Quick Reply

Latest