M215 - Motion on Paddington Watch

This discussion is closed.
Jarred
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
M215 - Motion on Paddington, The Hon. barnetlad MP
This House wishes to recommend that the District of Paddington in London be awarded city status. Its' hospital, St Mary's, is the birthplace of two likely future monarchs, currently the Duke of Cambridge and Prince George,of Zara Philips, and of the musician known as Elvis Costello. This hospital was also where Alexander Fleming discovered penicillin, and so this confirms there has been more culture in Paddington than in the 2017 City of Culture, Hull.

Clip
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Nay nay nay

Firstly, Paddington isn't a well defined area.

Secondly, what is commonly called Paddington is already largely contained within the City of Westminster. A city within a city would be an odd thing.

Third, there isn't a cathedral.

Fourth, St Marys isn't really contained within Paddington anymore and is just the overarching "Imperial NHS Trust"

Fifth, Paddington has enough going for it that it doesn't need to be in an undignified scramble for z-list honours, like Hull - which is a true toilet.
LETSJaM
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
A famous bear it might have, but a cathedral it doesn't. Nay.

<3 x
Krollo
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
If we're talking about towns that should be cities, surely Reading, Milton Keynes and Northampton should come first. Paddington's in London anyway, which I know isn't strictly a city but it's still indefinable and irrelevant.

Posted from TSR Mobile
PhysicsKid
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Your arguments for city status are meaningless to many people. However, despite not having a cathedral, though that's traditional, it shouldn't affect city status in the 21st Century. Abstain.
Cryptographic
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Krollo)
If we're talking about towns that should be cities, surely Reading, Milton Keynes and Northampton should come first. Paddington's in London anyway, which I know isn't strictly a city but it's still indefinable and irrelevant.
I live near Reading. I visit MK often I agree with all above.
MrDystopia
  • Volunteer Section Leader
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I believe my views were summed up rather nicely by Clip. Whilst it's true the area has a lot of history and a lot of well known events have occurred there, I still don't think we can justify creating a city out of the area. 'Specially one that is already within a city as mentioned.

A nay here.
Jarred
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
This has been withdrawn by the author.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Business Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (221)
23%
The paper was reasonable (429)
44.64%
Not feeling great about that exam... (174)
18.11%
It was TERRIBLE (137)
14.26%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise