Deciding on Psychology Courses! Watch

clare54
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I'm really interested in becoming a clinical psychologist, and I know that it requires a good degree and a lot of work experience to get onto the doctorate. Would I be at an advantage if I was to apply for a specific clinical psychology course, or is it regarded as the same as a normal course? I've found two universities that I like, but one is more specific than the other! I know that you essentially go to university for the course, but I'm stuck between the two! Thanks xxx
Alien41
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hi! If I were you, I'd go for a straight psychology course. I say this because it may be seen as more rigorous (rightly or wrongly ) but also it doesn't restrict you as much.

So for example if you wanted to do forensic psychology instead after exploring it at uni it'll be easier to do so with a straight course.

Also in regard to work experience a straight psychology course may open up more avenues as again it will be perceived as less restrictive! If the clinical course has lower grade requirements, I'd put it as an insurance.

Sorry if I've been unhelpful lol!

Posted from TSR Mobile
clare54
Rep:
?
The clinical psychology course is actually higher than the straight one which is my problem! Thank you, I think i'm going to maybe go for the straight course
iammichealjackson
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by clare54)
The clinical psychology course is actually higher than the straight one which is my problem! Thank you, I think i'm going to maybe go for the straight course
Clinical psychology degrees tend to be identical to regular psychology degrees in the first two years when you do your basics, only the last year changes when you can do more clinical psychology modules. I don't think it would be better to have either degree when applying for clinical psychology... but for other jobs psychology might be a better degree just for the name.
clare54
Rep:
?
Thank you!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• London Metropolitan University
    Postgraduate Mini Open Evening - Holloway Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 May '19
  • Brunel University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 22 May '19
  • University of Roehampton
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 22 May '19

How did your AQA A-level Psychology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (67)
22.11%
The paper was reasonable (133)
43.89%
Not feeling great about that exam... (53)
17.49%
It was TERRIBLE (50)
16.5%

Watched Threads