Applying for graduate medicine Watch

BeachTrawler
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hey,

I'm in my second year of Midwifery. I did well in my first year, and my long term aim was to apply for medicine. My teachers have been very encouraging and I've attended lots of open days. I recently went to an open day, and another student told me midwifery was looked down upon, and I was unlikely to get into medicine. It made me feel really upset, I love my subject, and I wouldn't care if I did it all my life. But I want people to honestly tell me if I would be seriously considered for medicine if I did apply. I did fairly well in my a-levels, AAB, but this was 2011, and after retakes in my gap year. I would of thought that studying nursing or midwifery would be really advantageous, but maybe people do have a certain perception about it. Also side note, do Imperial consider midwifery students for their course, on their website it only says biological students, not sure how specific it is
Democracy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by BeachTrawler)
Hey,

I'm in my second year of Midwifery. I did well in my first year, and my long term aim was to apply for medicine. My teachers have been very encouraging and I've attended lots of open days. I recently went to an open day, and another student told me midwifery was looked down upon, and I was unlikely to get into medicine. It made me feel really upset, I love my subject, and I wouldn't care if I did it all my life. But I want people to honestly tell me if I would be seriously considered for medicine if I did apply. I did fairly well in my a-levels, AAB, but this was 2011, and after retakes in my gap year. I would of thought that studying nursing or midwifery would be really advantageous, but maybe people do have a certain perception about it. Also side note, do Imperial consider midwifery students for their course, on their website it only says biological students, not sure how specific it is
That isn't true at all, I know several midwives doing graduate entry medicine.

Imperial seem to want a life sciences degree (as opposed to a healthcare degree) so you might want to email them just to double check. But generally midwifery is a perfectly acceptable course for graduate entry medicine.
BeachTrawler
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by Democracy)
That isn't true at all, I know several midwives doing graduate entry medicine.

Imperial seem to want a life sciences degree (as opposed to a healthcare degree) so you might want to email them just to double check. But generally midwifery is a perfectly acceptable course for graduate entry medicine.

Aww, thank you! Thats really reassured me. May I ask where you study, since you know midwives doing medicine. I would of liked to apply to Imperial, its fairly close to where I live, but I'll definitely have to email them.
polldoll
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
What degree title do you get for midwifery? I did nursing and got a BA, which falls under arts. I've recently been told my Uni has stopped taking graduates with arts degrees so now I wouldn't get a place! As a 3rd year medic and nurse there aren't as many advantages as you might think. In fact sometimes it's a disadvantage! I need to undo a lot of learning and my mindset and start again.
Make sure you go to a Uni that is graduate friendly. St. Andrews doesn't exactly fall into that bracket so it's one to avoid!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• SOAS University of London
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 May '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Thu, 30 May '19
  • Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Fri, 31 May '19

How did your AQA A-level Business Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (221)
22.97%
The paper was reasonable (430)
44.7%
Not feeling great about that exam... (174)
18.09%
It was TERRIBLE (137)
14.24%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise