Low body image but no eating disorder. Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi all

My fiancé has very low body image, he says that he has been physically sick many times when looking in the mirror.

I personally think is is very handsome - he is lovely! He turns me on so much and generally… yeah, it makes me sad that he doesn't believe me.

What can I do? he's been to therapy but wouldn't talk about it - he will talk about it to me tho - what can I do? Has anyone seen any good books or have any tips? I'm a bit lost! and as you can imagine this is messing up our relationship a little bit - he's almost got to the stage where he won't let me see him with no clothes on (I'm very stubborn about this, but compliment him lots)
username1084946
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Hi all

My fiancé has very low body image, he says that he has been physically sick many times when looking in the mirror.

I personally think is is very handsome - he is lovely! He turns me on so much and generally… yeah, it makes me sad that he doesn't believe me.

What can I do? he's been to therapy but wouldn't talk about it - he will talk about it to me tho - what can I do? Has anyone seen any good books or have any tips? I'm a bit lost! and as you can imagine this is messing up our relationship a little bit - he's almost got to the stage where he won't let me see him with no clothes on (I'm very stubborn about this, but compliment him lots)
I would not be concerned as to whether you think he has an eating disorder. As mechanical as it may sound, it is generally accepted that someone must have an underweight BMI score, have a fear or irrational attitude towards food and/or refusal to eat healthily and consistently in order to "qualify" as anorexic.
From the information you have provided, I would suggest that he has a case of body dysmorphia - a feeling of uncertainty and dislike to his own physical appearance.
If therapy has'nt worked initally then you can make a change. Maybe it's just an issue of confidence or something that's been said in the past that's been repressed? Try and show him that no-one is "perfect" or attractive to everyone. You could try and point out your own flaws to understand how he feels and get on to the same level as it were.
I don't agree that this is a valid reason for you to end your relationship and give up now but I do understand how it is putting a strain on it.

Good luck.
Hope this helps, if not let me know!
xoxAngel_Kxox
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
He needs to see his doctor about it, and they would be able to refer him to an appropriate counsellor. This is clearly having an effect on his life, and as such needs to be sorted.

It is scary to make the first move, but you won't be sorry that you did it in the long term.
ninaowl
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
eeee
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
The thing is that he doesn't want to talk about it to anyone else - he's very embarrassed about how he thinks about himself - so I'm not sure I could get him back into therapy again.

I'm hoping that we can talk about it, and work through it together, I just don't know if there are any exercises or things I can say to him to help - we think it originally stems from a girl he asked out in his teens who said he was ugly.

He is extremely clever and seems to be able to twist every thing I say!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Psychology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (4)
36.36%
The paper was reasonable (2)
18.18%
Not feeling great about that exam... (1)
9.09%
It was TERRIBLE (4)
36.36%

Watched Threads