The Student Room Group

I want to change university. Already.

I'm currently studying English Literature at the University of Leeds but I'm not entirely happy here.

I was so sure of Leeds before I came here - I took an 'Access to Leeds' scheme where you basically do some essays before you get your A level results and, if you pass, they lower the grade boundaries from AAA to ABB. I did this and passed, although I needn't have bothered because I got AAA anyway. I also applied to a first year scholarship which I'm now in full receipt of 9 grand this year.

However, I didn't get the accommodation I wanted. I'm currently living quite far away from the university campus itself and in the "boring halls" as it's known. It's mainly for international students and there's a dead atmosphere and it's really anti-social. I was told coming to uni that there would be a flux of new people that I would be constantly meeting from everywhere but that could not be further from the truth. There has been no flat parties or meetings or anything. I only ever see 4 people in my flat - 2 are Chinese so they stick with their international friends that they made before we all came and one of them stays in her room a lot.
I'm really devastated I didn't get the "halls experience" and feel it's a really big part in the university. It's making me really unhappy and I've started to go home quite a lot.

On top of this, I don't like one of my modules either! I think semester 2 will be better and I know the course improves a lot better in second/third year and there's a war in Literature module I really want to do. Having said this, I don't want to live with my flat mates in a house next year. I'm dying to have the halls experience properly.

So, I started looking at Manchester university. Either to start as a first year in halls there next year, or in halls as a second year. I'm pretty much certain I want to go there, the only problem is they don't do my dream module! (The war in Literature one.)

So now you see my predicament.

I feel ridiculous throwing away such a great opportunity in Leeds but I know Manchester is a great uni too and I'm from there and love the northern quarter/the clubs and the people and atmosphere - unlike Leeds where a lot of the clubs are music I don't like and it's quite anti-social and standoffish.

I have no idea what to do.
Reply 1
Hey, I'm doing English at Leeds too and I'm also unhappy with my accommodation because my flatmates are unsociable. Have you emailed the accommodation office about changing room? I just did, the form is here: http://accommodation.leeds.ac.uk/info/200127/current_students/26/room_transfers/2 I've heard that there are a lot of vacant rooms right now due to people dropping out.
First semester is nearly over so hang in there! You can always go into halls again next year too. There's no guarantee that you'll have better flatmates in Manchester and I'm pretty sure it's too late to change university for this year unfortunately.
If this is all that is stopping you enjoying your time at Uni, then change it.
Move out.

Go to the Accom Office and ask about changing Halls, or look here for spare rooms in existing flatshares - http://student.spareroom.co.uk/accommodation/leeds/
If that's all that's holding you back then move out. No point in moving uni's just for that though since you'll be leaving halls next year anyway...

Quick Reply