Turn on thread page Beta

Everyone else seems so happy. watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I'm tired of acting like I'm happy all the time, when I'm not.
    I put up this pretense that everything is fine, but in fact it couldn't be further from the truth.
    I'm really tired of being constantly stressed and pushed to breaking point.
    I feel anxious and weary whenever I head out with friends, and yet I still put on this happy, smiley expression.
    Does anybody else feel as if the majority of the people they know have such great, carefree, happy lives but they themselves don't?
    I'm just really tired, I guess.

ReputationRep:
    I feel you

ReputationRep:
    What's wrong?

Do keep in mind that you're just comparing your own behind the scenes to everyone's highlight reel. You're less likely to tell everyone how much of a bad time you're having than telling everyone you're fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chickenonsteroids)
    What's wrong?

Do keep in mind that you're just comparing your own behind the scenes to everyone's highlight reel. You're less likely to tell everyone how much of a bad time you're having than telling everyone you're fine.
    It's really hard to say what exactly is wrong.
    I don't know.
    Cheers though.

ReputationRep:
    Think about it. If everyone only ever puts on their best face and a smile when they're feeling ****, of course we delude ourselves into thinking we're the only ones going through a hard time. Your friends probably wish they were you, that you always seem fine.

Wake up call for me was finding out one of my friends' dads' had been battling lung cancer and had lost, and had maybe a few weeks to live. I had no idea it was that bad, and at the time I felt really guilty for thinking that "everyone else had it so much easier than me", when all I had to worry about was failing my exams.

Everyone is depressed. Depression depression depression.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by desdemonata)
    Think about it. If everyone only ever puts on their best face and a smile when they're feeling ****, of course we delude ourselves into thinking we're the only ones going through a hard time. Your friends probably wish they were you, that you always seem fine.

Wake up call for me was finding out one of my friends' dads' had been battling lung cancer and had lost, and had maybe a few weeks to live. I had no idea it was that bad, and at the time I felt really guilty for thinking that "everyone else had it so much easier than me", when all I had to worry about was failing my exams.
    I understand that, I really do.
    Maybe it's because the majority of my friends are those kind of people who just have to tell you how brilliantly their lives are.
    It hurts because they don't understand. Last week, for instance, I met up with a friend, and whenever I started mentioning just a few rants, she'd tell me to "get checked for depression".
    They don't even know that in six days, it'll be the one year anniversary of my dad's death, something I'm still struggling to deal with.
    I just feel empty.
    Sorry to bring such dark thoughts in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheReckless)
    Maybe it's because the majority of my friends are those kind of people who just have to tell you how brilliantly their lives are.
    It hurts because they don't understand. Last week, for instance, I met up with a friend, and whenever I started mentioning just a few rants, she'd tell me to "get checked for depression".
    They don't even know that in six days, it'll be the one year anniversary of my dad's death, something I'm still struggling to deal with.
    I just feel empty.
    That's really insensitive I'm sorry you lost your dad - I had another friend lose hers suddenly from a heart attack that year as well. Those were some dark days and it wasn't even my dad :hugs:

A lot of people try to cover up deficiencies by doing that. I know it doesn't help to hear it but it's true - people who are content don't really feel the need to brag. I definitely wouldn't appreciate my friends being like that, though :/

There's no need to apologise :console: You could write down everything you're feeling, maybe in a letter, and then burn it. I know it sounds silly, but it really helped me put into words how I felt when I was lost or confused, gave me a bit of closure. Or at least a sense that I'd done something positive/constructive.

ReputationRep:
    I think a lot of people feel like this, but you just don't notice because everyone hides it: and in doing so, everyone thinks that everyone else is perfectly fine.

Modern society is just a big, whirlpool of depression for a lot of people, I think

ReputationRep:
    I don't know how to respond to this, I was recently diagnosed with major depression and anxiety. I'm not saying you have either, because everyone feels sad and stressed at times. I think most people have depressed episodes. But, if you're not deriving joy or pleasure from life, and feeling very anxious, you need to ask yourself some painful questions. Have you 'always' felt like this, or does it come in bouts or is just a recent thing? Did you suddenly sort of find yourself feeling like this and realise it's been like this for awhile? Do you want to change this/ do you feel like you may not be coping?

Okay, just seen about your dad.. such a difficult thing to go through and I can't begin to comprehend how you must feel. It sounds like you would benefit from talking to someone (I think everyone would) have you ever had any counselling for grief?

I know it's cliche, but it's really okay to not feel okay. When you feel depressed and hopeless and empty, guilt can seem to fill everything up.. but it's okay to feel sad.

ReputationRep:
    I know how you feel. I've never been truly happy in my own skin. My mood relies on my day. If people are nice to me, if things go well, if things go to plan I'm happy. Otherwise I feel I am at the mercy of life. I want to be more stable and not let situations/people affect my mood.

ReputationRep:
    It's like look in a mirror with that OP, I always try and put on a happy, bright face it saves people asking what's wrong and the like. I just can't explain to anyone how I feel, I don't know what's wrong with me. As a society I now think we are all under so much stress and the world is moving so fast I don't think the human brain can keep up.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheReckless)
    I just feel empty.
    Why do you think you feel empty? What is making you unhappy? If you know what the problem is then you can begin to figure out how to solve it. Just in case, go to the GP and explain everything, if it's depression they'll correctly diagnose it and they'll give you anti-depressants. Really though, it doesn't change anything.

Alternatively, if you're not at university/college(if you're on gap year or something) think about taking a break and focusing on something else. Go volunteer in another country or something. Anything to take your mind off it.

ReputationRep:
    Honestly, people often don't feel the way they act. If we weren't allowed to tell lies, I don't think many people would be able to answer "How are you feeling?" with "Fine". Not everyone is as happy as they look.

When I was going through some sad times, I found it was helpful to do something new. Try an instrument, learn a language, write poetry or start reading some interesting books. This is just me talking but not only does it help to take your mind off what troubles you most, but it can really help you to feel calm. So even if you are still feeling sad, and that's not always something you can avoid, you can still feel positive about the future.

Remember, you're never alone! Look for a friend or a relative you can relate to and don't be afraid to confide in people. You'd be surprised how many of them are also in need of someone to talk to.

Poll
Should Banksy be put in prison?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.