Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Let me explain, throught my 3 years at uni i've had many ups and downs and i've found i have a knack for a couple of things: massage for one and giving advice for another, and there are times where i'm telling myself "I want to help people like me" (i have Anxiety and Depression) is this normal for someone in their final year at uni

ReputationRep:
    What's your degree in? If you don't mind me asking? You can get into most careers with most degrees.
    I personally am in the last year of a maths degree - and I would like to do a job as far away from this as possible, I think this is probably quite normal - when I decided to do my degree I was 18 and didn't know what I wanted to do!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fondls)
    What's your degree in? If you don't mind me asking? You can get into most careers with most degrees.
    I personally am in the last year of a maths degree - and I would like to do a job as far away from this as possible, I think this is probably quite normal - when I decided to do my degree I was 18 and didn't know what I wanted to do!
    I do AI and Robotics (it's in my sig )

ReputationRep:
    ahh - I always forget to look in the signatures….

yeah - I think you could go into lots of things with that!

Do some massage courses? or you could join the Samaritans - I bet you might find some interesting options through either of those.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tcrumpen)
    At the moment you need a degree to clean toilets in McDonald's so I wouldn't worry too much if you feel your degree might not be relevant to your future plans. As has already been said, you can pretty much do any career with any degree, so long as you have one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fondls)
    ahh - I always forget to look in the signatures….

yeah - I think you could go into lots of things with that!

Do some massage courses? or you could join the Samaritans - I bet you might find some interesting options through either of those.
    I have looked in massage courses, however you can't really make a living of it, it would have to be a part time thing, or i might just "save it" for another place

ReputationRep:
    80% of the labour market is open to any graduate!

hey :lovedup:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by + polarity -)
    hey :lovedup:
    Hi, you do AI and Robotics too?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bronco2012)
    80% of the labour market is open to any graduate!
    where did you get that info?

Hi, you do AI and Robotics too?
    nooo, but I love robots!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by + polarity -)
    nooo, but I love robots!
    Ahh right i'm more the person that will be coding them

Ahh right i'm more the person that will be coding them
    I'm trying to do that right now, it's solid lol

ReputationRep:
    where did you get that info?
    Careers guy at the uni. Only 20% of graduate roles specify a degree area.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bronco2012)
    Careers guy at the uni. Only 20% of graduate roles specify a degree area.
    Ahh right, did they say why, is it that all uni courses basically teach you the same foundation skills

ReputationRep:
    Ahh right, did they say why, is it that all uni courses basically teach you the same foundation skills

The idea is that basically most grad employers are willing to provide on the job training, so long as you have a university degree. What they're looking for is someone with the intelligence to get a 2:1, and then within that, they judge you on your personality. Now obviously similarly scored candidates would receive a bump if their degree subject was relevant, but we were told a story that a student on the same degree as me averaged 96% and was the best student of all time, but was completely unemployable as he just sat in his room studying all day every day.

ReputationRep:
    I really don't think it's a problem. Many people don't go into the job area that their course is for. I'm doing Ergonomics and I'll probably open a cafe after I finish!

ReputationRep:
    Hi. I'd say try do what you want to do if you can and don't worry that it's not related to your degree. Just think of all the positive things that have come out of your time at university apart from the degree. I think you should go for it and try something new if you don't want to do a job related to your degree. You said you feel like you're good at giving advice-I felt the same and was going to volunteer as a Bereavement counsellor but was told it was too soon after my bereavements so I didn't go ahead with it but if it wasn't for that I think it would have been good. It was through Cruse Bereavement Care. Do you think that's something you would try? Also, someone already mentioned The Samaritans. I would have tried volunteering at a Samaritans call centre if they had one where I live x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Little Old Me)
    Hi. I'd say try do what you want to do if you can and don't worry that it's not related to your degree. Just think of all the positive things that have come out of your time at university apart from the degree. I think you should go for it and try something new if you don't want to do a job related to your degree. You said you feel like you're good at giving advice-I felt the same and was going to volunteer as a Bereavement counsellor but was told it was too soon after my bereavements so I didn't go ahead with it but if it wasn't for that I think it would have been good. It was through Cruse Bereavement Care. Do you think that's something you would try? Also, someone already mentioned The Samaritans. I would have tried volunteering at a Samaritans call centre if they had one where I live x
    I did think about being a grievance counsalor (spelling) mainly because i have been through some tough times in my life; not nearly as bad as some people, but i do feel that having someone to connect with is a good idea, my parents think that this is just cold feet about me finishing uni and going into the real world

ReputationRep:
    I did think about being a grievance counsalor (spelling) mainly because i have been through some tough times in my life; not nearly as bad as some people, but i do feel that having someone to connect with is a good idea, my parents think that this is just cold feet about me finishing uni and going into the real world
    Yeah I understand what you mean, that's why I wanted to become a counsellor/volunteer as a bereavement counsellor, I thought my experiences could help me to help others, and I like the idea of people connecting together through life experiences. Ahh that must be tough, especially if you yourself know that it's not just cold feet! x

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.