Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Just wanted to ask someone who knows about wifi about how the wifi/emf works. Someone i live with spends all night on ps3 and the wifi modem constantly glickers fast. I wondered if the wifi/emf would just go in a line from the modem to the playstation or would the rlectric field be increased all over the house? In other words are people in the upstairs rooms being exposed to more emf (even if they have nothing comnected in theor room) as a result of someone playing on playstation all night? Or does it make no difference if the playstation is on or not?

ReputationRep:
    Although I am not an expert in the matter, I am pretty sure that when you increase the bandwidth between the router and a given connected device, then that additional bandwidth/communication is sent out in a sphere around the router, as the router has no information on where your computer physically is. As such, you are correct that anyone in other rooms would notice an increase in the emf from the router.

However, what I don't know is that high the emf from the router will be, compared to other waves - TV transmissions, radio transmissions, mobile phone transmissions, etc. Given that the range of those signals is much bigger than the range of your router, I would assume this are going to be more powerful.

In terms of health risks, there is almost no evidence to suggest wifi signals cause health damage. For instance, the wavelength of wifi is around the same as cosmic background radiation.

However:

ReputationRep:
    I think that is a question best saved for the elders of the internet.

Name:  l-640-429-b74f1e4a-31c0-4821-aadd-1e736b8e41e8.jpeg
Views: 119
Size:  32.5 KB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by inthedark1)
    Just wanted to ask someone who knows about wifi about how the wifi/emf works. Someone i live with spends all night on ps3 and the wifi modem constantly glickers fast. I wondered if the wifi/emf would just go in a line from the modem to the playstation or would the rlectric field be increased all over the house? In other words are people in the upstairs rooms being exposed to more emf (even if they have nothing comnected in theor room) as a result of someone playing on playstation all night? Or does it make no difference if the playstation is on or not?
    Wifi operates on the 2.4GHz bandwidth - an area of space defined to be used by the public without the requirement of a licence. Many different devices use this, wifi, baby monitors, microwaves etc. I honestly wouldn't worry about 2.4GHz radiation. You'd be too scared to go near anything!

ReputationRep:
    It's not going to make much difference to the EMF from the router. There would be a bit of radiation from the PS3 whilst it's on, but the power levels from wifi are pretty low. I'd be more worried about leakage from a microwave oven (800W @2.4GHz compared to 0.1W from the router) or mobile phone (a few Watts usually carried very close to the body).

Also remember the EMF field drops off quite quickly (I can never remember if it's an inverse square or inverse cubed reduction with distance).

ReputationRep:
    This is seriously something you're worrying about?

Hypothetically I'll ignore the absolute absurdity of thinking that an EM field of that strength would in any way harm you and the fact that the signal doesn't even increase when someone plays, since routers continuously transmit. Surely there are much more pressing matters that should be occupying your mind with regards to your health? What about the tons of pollution that are pumped out by cars every day? You know, that pollution that is actually proven to cause negative health affects and increase the amount of body damaging particles in the air.

Routers should be the last thing on your mind if you're that paranoid about health. I'm surprised you even leave the house.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by You Failed)

Hypothetically I'll ignore the absolute absurdity of thinking that an EM field of that strength would in any way harm you and the fact that the signal doesn't even increase when someone plays, since routers continuously transmit. Surely there are much more pressing matters that should be occupying your mind with regards to your health? What about the tons of pollution that are pumped out by cars every day? You know, that pollution that is actually proven to cause negative health affects and increase the amount of body damaging particles in the air.

Routers should be the last thing on your mind if you're that paranoid about health. I'm surprised you even leave the house.
    they might just be curious. i kind of am now lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThoughtIsFree)
    they might just be curious. i kind of am now lol
    I'll save you the time, it will, but the amount will be minuscule. Any electrical item will give off an electromagnetic field, and EM fields have infinite range but for something so small in the first place, over any reasonable distance it's going to become unmeasurable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by You Failed)

Have you thought about why I am asking? Is it because I know all about EM fields from wifi, how they work and how strong they are and have decided to be absolute absurdly paranoid or is it because I don't know and Im curious do you think?

Some of us are using laptops now and there is evidence (whether its bs or not I don't know) that you shouldn't be too close to them for long periods of time. Same with mobiles. I usually make sure this stuff is switched off at night, unless I forget, but Im wondering how emr fields around a wifi modem works if its flickering hard all night connected to a ps3. My aunt wouldn't place the modem right behind the wall of where her baby sleeps but then she has always been a drama queen.

Yea people fret about all sorts these days and evidence often contradicts itself. People worry about side effects in vaccines, not breastfeeding, food additives, fluless gas fires, pollution (as you say) and..basically everything. There are things we can control and things we can't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by inthedark1)
    Have you thought about why I am asking? Is it because I know all about EM fields from wifi, how they work and how strong they are and have decided to be absolute absurdly paranoid or is it because I don't know and Im curious do you think?

Some of us are using laptops now and there is evidence (whether its bs or not I don't know) that you shouldn't be too close to them for long periods of time. Same with mobiles. I usually make sure this stuff is switched off at night, unless I forget, but Im wondering how emr fields around a wifi modem works if its flickering hard all night connected to a ps3. My aunt wouldn't place the modem right behind the wall of where her baby sleeps but then she has always been a drama queen.

Yea people fret about all sorts these days and evidence often contradicts itself. People worry about side effects in vaccines, not breastfeeding, food additives, fluless gas fires, pollution (as you say) and..basically everything. There are things we can control and things we can't.
    The evidence doesn't contradict itself and the science supports the fact that it does nothing to your health at the levels we're exposed to.

You gain more exposure to EM fields from the Earth's atmosphere than you do from any electrical device by a factor of one to two orders of magnitude. Are you going to tell me that humans have actually been experiencing negative health affects from the beginning of time and we're all suffering from it?

People also fret about chemtrails from planes actually being produced by the government to spread mind controlling gas over the land. People are stupid.

ReputationRep:
    They do a wifi radiation shielding t shirt

ReputationRep:
    Am I right in thinking it's probably unwise to sleep with my head next to my switched on mobile phone?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cal97g)
    Am I right in thinking it's probably unwise to sleep with my head next to my switched on mobile phone?
    Unless your head is right next to the phone you're probably ok. If it's on a bedside table (or similar) you should be fine.

From memory mobile phones don't radiate as much if they're not in use. So chances are the worst time for radio waves is when you're talking on it (the time you're most likely to have it near your head).

If you've got wifi turned on then the EMF from that might be higher most of the time.

ReputationRep:
    Just to clarify THERE IS NO RISK OF PERSONAL ELECTRIC DEVICES CAUSING HARMFUL RADIATION.

This was a theory that put put across about 20 years ago. However in actual tests there is no undisputed evidence that harm occurs whereas there are several undisputed tests proving that no harm occurs.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mfaxford)
    Unless your head is right next to the phone you're probably ok. If it's on a bedside table (or similar) you should be fine.

From memory mobile phones don't radiate as much if they're not in use. So chances are the worst time for radio waves is when you're talking on it (the time you're most likely to have it near your head).

If you've got wifi turned on then the EMF from that might be higher most of the time.
    Unless you sleep next to the router, the EMF is likely to be very low (inverse square rule).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rmhumphries)
    Unless you sleep next to the router, the EMF is likely to be very low (inverse square rule).
    The EMF from the router might be low, The EMF from the phone (if it's wifi is turned on) will be high (how much the wifi is running depends on the phone but some devices will keep the wifi on all the time if it's charging).

From memory the average EMF from GSM/3G will be lower when you're not actively using it (high power for handshakes, but then low power/off the rest of the time). Wifi on the other hand is transmitting all the time if it's enabled.

However as I said a few days ago, you're probably at more risk from a microwave oven (800W @2.4GHz compared to 0.1W for wifi on the same band).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mfaxford)
    The EMF from the router might be low, The EMF from the phone (if it's wifi is turned on) will be high (how much the wifi is running depends on the phone but some devices will keep the wifi on all the time if it's charging).

From memory the average EMF from GSM/3G will be lower when you're not actively using it (high power for handshakes, but then low power/off the rest of the time). Wifi on the other hand is transmitting all the time if it's enabled.

However as I said a few days ago, you're probably at more risk from a microwave oven (800W @2.4GHz compared to 0.1W for wifi on the same band).
    Ah, sorry - I misunderstood you, as the original OP was based around wifi routers. You are correct that wifi from the phone is likely to be higher than GSM/3G; although I still would have thought it is unlikely to be at a harmful amount.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rmhumphries)
    Ah, sorry - I misunderstood you, as the original OP was based around wifi routers. You are correct that wifi from the phone is likely to be higher than GSM/3G; although I still would have thought it is unlikely to be at a harmful amount.
    What about SAR ratings? I seem to remember when reading the documentation for my phone that the Wifi SAR was wayyyy lower than the maximum SAR of the 3G/4G antenna

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Seble)
    What about SAR ratings? I seem to remember when reading the documentation for my phone that the Wifi SAR was wayyyy lower than the maximum SAR of the 3G/4G antenna
    That is beyond my knowledge I am afraid.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Seble)
    In terms of heating water 2.4GHz is particularly good (that's how microwave ovens work).

For a mobile phone near the body with wifi enabled you'd potentially have
    0.1W @2.4GHz from wifi 100% of the time
    ~2W @800/1800/2100 GSM/3G some of the time

(The 2W figure came from a page on wikipedia so might not be accurate. Mobiles will potentially vary their output power depending on signal strength - using more power when you have a weak signal).

Overall in terms of negative effects on the body I don't think there'll be much difference and you're microwave oven is potentially worse.

With some of the commercial wifi kit I've used the warning usually say to keep it 20cm away from people.

Personally I'm not too worried by those power levels although I don't generally sleep with the mobile phone on the pillow. (/me checks radio license for 2.4GHz - 400W into the antenna) that's the point I'd be more worried (The only equipment I use at 2.4GHz is wifi and microwave, but I know of people that do experiment with radios on that band with more power than a wifi point).

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.