England or Australia?? Watch

cyndie143
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
This question has probably been asked allot and people might be tired of answering it but I need help. I'm a 19 year old BLACK female student from SOUTH AFRICA. I've been weighing my options and looking at different places to that are best to study civil engineering. And so far England and Australia have captured my attention but between the two I don't know which one I should go to. I've heard that most people in england are cold and unfriendly and the weather is rather unpleasant (I don't mind the weather though). And Australia nothing bad besides that people drink too much and that there are different species of spiders that are there (I personally hate spiders). But besides that I'm a friendly person and I like interacting with people. I'm talkative and I'd like some advice from people that have had some personal experiences whether being isolated to meeting friendly people in both countries. Ahmm yeah any comment would really help allot oh and thank you for taking the time to read and respond to this
Silkysam
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Australians don't drink as much as the Brits.
Slowbro93
  • PS Reviewer
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I've moved this to a more appropriate area
geodawson
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Australia has an extremely poor education system. The university system is very different to the UK's with almost all students living in suburbs around the city universities and commuting there daily.
I would definitely choose the UK, stronger universities and more of a student lifestyle.
rock_climber86
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
you seem obsessed by the fact you're black. Australians are similarly obsessed with their race. Go there, you'll fit right in.

I have no idea why the fact you are black and from SA needed to be in bold. The apartheid era is gone! Get over yourself!

Posted from TSR Mobile
harvie_316
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
DO NOT MOVE TO ENGLAND haha

not but really go to OZ, its much better in everyway.
Aniqa Bushra
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
#teamaussie!
magnetite
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by geodawson)
Australia has an extremely poor education system. The university system is very different to the UK's with almost all students living in suburbs around the city universities and commuting there daily.
I would definitely choose the UK, stronger universities and more of a student lifestyle.
Say the girl who has never even studied at an Australian university.
(Original post by rock_climber86)
you seem obsessed by the fact you're black. Australians are similarly obsessed with their race. Go there, you'll fit right in.

I have no idea why the fact you are black and from SA needed to be in bold. The apartheid era is gone! Get over yourself!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I would say England is more multicultural, but most people in Australia don't care if you are black, yellow, brown or white.

If you want to be a Civil Engineer, then I would pick Australia as we have much greater opportunities for employment in that area and our salaries are much much higher. Plus the weather is good. But the nightlife is not as good and its quieter etc.
member841230
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by rock_climber86)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Nonsense. I've lived in Australia, Scandinavia and the US and Australians are by far the least race-conscious.

For the record, I agree with the posters above. Australia might offer a slightly better lifestyle (if you're into weather and beaches, etc) but student life in the UK would be more interesting and immersive. I wouldn't say Australian unis are bad academically, but it's true that people tend to live at home and just go in for class.
nmjasdk
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
my dad went to australia like 20 years back he went many countries but he only noted the racism he felt in australia must say something. England is quite racist but im not sure if unis are all majority white only (not in uni yet), if you do apply somewhere like queen mary it will be very multicultural, because its in a multicultural area lots of us asians their (south asians).

- that is if racism is what your worried about, which your question kind of implies a bit.

from what i understand english universities are pretty world famous too, i mean the average jo doesnt know yale, harvard or MIT, but even someone in asia will know oxford and cambridge.
magnetite
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by nmjasdk)
my dad went to australia like 20 years back he went many countries but he only noted the racism he felt in australia must say something. England is quite racist but im not sure if unis are all majority white only (not in uni yet), if you do apply somewhere like queen mary it will be very multicultural, because its in a multicultural area lots of us asians their (south asians).

- that is if racism is what your worried about, which your question kind of implies a bit.

from what i understand english universities are pretty world famous too, i mean the average jo doesnt know yale, harvard or MIT, but even someone in asia will know oxford and cambridge.
And how is your dad's opinion from 20 years ago still valid?

University reputation is not important in Australia like it is in the UK. Once you have your first degree and have a job, it's even less important.

You are just as likely to get a job from a so called bad university in Australia as you are from a good university. We haven't got to the stage of being the UK yet in regards to comparing university reputations for engineering (maybe law/commerce etc).

But yes, most uni students in Aus commute. It costs about $400/week to live on campus which is pretty expensive, so most commute. The UK would probably give you that 'uni experience' but personally, not having gone through it, I am wary of the so called benefits.
member841230
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
'Extremely poor? I can't see how you came to that conclusion. Why don't we make this fair and judge per-capita? http://stats.areppim.com/stats/stats...ercap_2013.htm

Oxbridge aside, Australian universities match their UK counterparts.
Sgt.Incontro
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Why are you basing such an important life-changing decision upon the answers you get on a public forum? You should go and get a taste of both countries, and then make a more informed decision.
geodawson
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by magnetite)
Say the girl who has never even studied at an Australian university.

I would say England is more multicultural, but most people in Australia don't care if you are black, yellow, brown or white.

If you want to be a Civil Engineer, then I would pick Australia as we have much greater opportunities for employment in that area and our salaries are much much higher. Plus the weather is good. But the nightlife is not as good and its quieter etc.
Excuse me? I have lived in both Australia and the UK and have an extremely high awareness of both systems. I've had two old brothers who have gone through both university systems and have my self partaken in university courses from Australian and American universities. Don't speak like you know who I am.

As for the multicultural aspect, you mustn't live in the same state as myself.
BWV1007
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Go for Australia if you love the beach (Sydney!) or love some adventure. The weather is beautiful. And yeah the people there are (usually) nicer!
magnetite
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Excuse me? I have lived in both Australia and the UK and have an extremely high awareness of both systems. I've had two old brothers who have gone through both university systems and have my self partaken in university courses from Australian and American universities. Don't speak like you know who I am.

As for the multicultural aspect, you mustn't live in the same state as myself.
I've travelled across most of Australia and have lived in multiple cities (some for lengthy periods, some for short periods). Some places are more multicultural than others yes, but Australia in general is a multicultural society, however the UK is much more diverse from both Europe and abroad.

Your initial post was as if you felt quite strongly about it hence my reply. Are you at university or still in high school?

P.s. I don't know who you are, and it doesnt matter, but it matters to the OP if you give biased advice based on pure opinion.
Ryan.W
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'm from the UK and they are not mean people, we are very friendly its just u got to find the right people
Pessimisterious
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Australia is vastly richer and is more pleasant to live just because of the good weather.

I think Australia is much more overtly racist than the UK. Much more. I saw more than one car with 'f*** off, we're full' written on bumper stickers, and one time when I finished work, a guy started singing 'spot the Aussie', because most of the employees were immigrants. In 25 years I've never seen a thing like that in the UK.

On the whole though I'd say the average Australian is more laid back and generally friendlier than a British person.

Australia lacks depth of culture. It's all just beer, barbecues, cars, shopping and new developments. I guess that's fine, but it all feels very 'consumer' after a while. The UK has far more history and wayyyy better architecture.

Aside from my previous 'racism' comment, the mix of nationalities in Australia is actually amazing. It was one of my favourite aspects.

I personally would choose to study in Australia, but that's because I'm from the UK and I'd love to get out of this place. Sometimes I think I'll try to get over to Oz permanently after I graduate.

That's my input.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Sir Fox
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Silkysam)
Australians don't drink as much as the Brits.
Wahahaaait a second

I'm a German (country with high alcohol consumption), usually living in Scotland, now living in Australia, and I can tell you: Australians drink. A lot.
Sir Fox
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by cyndie143)
X
I'm a German usually studying in the UK (Scotland) but currently on exchange in Australia for the year. You got quite a lot of input already, if you have any specific questions, I'm glad to help.

As for the spiders: they haven't killed anyone since the 80s (at least the Sydney Funnel Web) and while you might find them in your garden or houses in rural areas, that's not so much the case in the inner cities. I've been here for months now and not seen a single venomous species.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Psychology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (67)
22.33%
The paper was reasonable (131)
43.67%
Not feeling great about that exam... (53)
17.67%
It was TERRIBLE (49)
16.33%

Watched Threads