Is there an advantage to doing 4 A2's as apposed to 3? Watch

Incredimazing
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Do admissions tutors secretly prefer people who do 4 A2's? I don't want to put unnecessary pressure on myself next year but I want everything to be in my favour as I'll be applying for a competitive course at top uni's. Worth it or not? Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile
LucyTheWeird
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Only do it if you're going to enjoy it - otherwise you might not do as well as you could have done.
I suppose doing more A2s gives you the appearance of someone who wants to learn more, but it's only worth it if you actually do :yes:

Posted from TSR Mobile
nic-nac
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
If you want to apply to a top uni that wants AAA then getting ABBB which is actually more points won't cut it. But that's what you risk happening if you give yourself that much work to do.
glossop96
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
3 is mostly seen as preferred

my advice would be to pick 3 to do at A2 and revise hard and get good results.
gr8wizard10
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Not if you're applying for a Uni which requires 4 or you enjoy doing them.
nic-nac
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Abdul-Karim)
Not if you're applying for a Uni which requires 4 or you enjoy doing them.
As far as I'm aware, no British university has a standard offer of 4 A2s. It may be that the average Oxbridge candidate does have that many or more, but even their offers will 'only' be A*AA. If the uni gives a points based offer, they may include all of your a-levels - mine did, making it incredibly easy to meet
gr8wizard10
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by nic-nac)
As far as I'm aware, no British university has a standard offer of 4 A2s. It may be that the average Oxbridge candidate does have that many or more, but even their offers will 'only' be A*AA. If the uni gives a points based offer, they may include all of your a-levels - mine did, making it incredibly easy to meet
Very well, this should answer OP's question.
Incredimazing
Rep:
?
There are some courses that require 4 A2's, but not for what I'm applying for (Law). I enjoy all of my subjects and believe I could get 4 A*'s, but it'd take more effort than 3 A*'s obviously. I'm willing to do it if it actually benefits me, but if it's needless then is there any point? Does doing 4 make me look more competitive?

Posted from TSR Mobile
ross95
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Incredimazing)
There are some courses that require 4 A2's, but not for what I'm applying for (Law). I enjoy all of my subjects and believe I could get 4 A*'s, but it'd take more effort than 3 A*'s obviously. I'm willing to do it if it actually benefits me, but if it's needless then is there any point? Does doing 4 make me look more competitive?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Doing well in 4 A levels is preferred to those who do 3 A levels. But you must do well as mentioned above. However if you think you will get 3 A*s then that is probably all you need to do. 4 A*s and a decent PS is pretty much 5 offers.

Usually A*AA = AAAB I believe.
Incredimazing
Rep:
?
(Original post by ross95)
Doing well in 4 A levels is preferred to those who do 3 A levels. But you must do well as mentioned above. However if you think you will get 3 A*s then that is probably all you need to do. 4 A*s and a decent PS is pretty much 5 offers.

Usually A*AA = AAAB I believe.
Well I'll just have to try harder next year then . Thanks a lot!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Kvothe the Arcane
  • Study Forum Helper
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Increased sense of satisfaction.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Arts University Bournemouth
    Art and Design Foundation Diploma Further education
    Sat, 25 May '19
  • SOAS University of London
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 May '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Thu, 30 May '19

How did your AQA GCSE Physics Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (200)
30.03%
The paper was reasonable (272)
40.84%
Not feeling great about that exam... (112)
16.82%
It was TERRIBLE (82)
12.31%

Watched Threads