fresh install asking for windows xp service pack 2? Watch

Coffeegirl
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi there

Just trying to do a fresh install on an old laptop (40hdd, 1gb, intel duo). It already ran a version of windows xp. I tried using the same install disk that I always use and have never had a problem until now.

Half way through the installation, i am being asked to put in my cd of windows xp service pack 2 (this has never happened before.)

I got the file burned on a disk but it still won't work, also tried a new xp disk I burned using online software but to no avail.

Help would be much appreciated. Thanks guys
Iqbal007
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Coffeegirl)
Hi there

Just trying to do a fresh install on an old laptop (40hdd, 1gb, intel duo). It already ran a version of windows xp. I tried using the same install disk that I always use and have never had a problem until now.

Half way through the installation, i am being asked to put in my cd of windows xp service pack 2 (this has never happened before.)

I got the file burned on a disk but it still won't work, also tried a new xp disk I burned using online software but to no avail.

Help would be much appreciated. Thanks guys
You sure you didn't click something or whatever.............maybe get the xp service pack 2 update
Coffeegirl
Rep:
?
(Original post by Iqbal007)
You sure you didn't click something or whatever.............maybe get the xp service pack 2 update

pretty sure!!
rad_student
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Are u able to put the Setup files & xpSp2/3 (any specific drivers, as it may have been looking for something from there) on the hdd? So when it asks, you can direct it to the :\setup\XP\ location & its faster.
(Run Virus checker, JIC there's a boot virus.)

If you think its 'catching' something from the old XP install then break the partition (freeware partition managers available) or format using switches. Create bootable usb disk first, should work even if created from another PC.
Unsure what type of setup disk, if a company's OEM & it doesn't look full; or u have doubts, then try formatting C drive, using fast switch. Copy xp setup files after format & run it.

What file(s) specifically did you burn? What version Was xp u burnt?
Coffeegirl
Rep:
?
(Original post by rad_student)
Are u able to put the Setup files & xpSp2/3 (any specific drivers, as it may have been looking for something from there) on the hdd? So when it asks, you can direct it to the :\setup\XP\ location & its faster.
(Run Virus checker, JIC there's a boot virus.)

If you think its 'catching' something from the old XP install then break the partition (freeware partition managers available) or format using switches. Create bootable usb disk first, should work even if created from another PC.
Unsure what type of setup disk, if a company's OEM & it doesn't look full; or u have doubts, then try formatting C drive, using fast switch. Copy xp setup files after format & run it.

What file(s) specifically did you burn? What version Was xp u burnt?
I can't get into the system in order to do any of the above. I only get directed to the place where it asks for the file. I can get into the setup BIOS if that helps?
mfaxford
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Maybe re-try the installation, or try something a bit more modern.

XP SP3 goes out of support early next year (so just a few months left) - so no more patches when a vulnerability is found, which will probably happen the day after support ends.
rad_student
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Ohh u didn't explain too well. Create/borrow usb boot disk from win98 onwards to get in & reformat; maybe even a partition software manager. Hiren's boot cd if u have time.
Or buy a 2nd HDD & make that Master & use 40gb for pagefile, temp files. Though 3gb Ram ideal.
Coffeegirl
Rep:
?
I tried to do the USB boot thing but it was too complicated.
Alextyler7
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Coffeegirl)
I tried to do the USB boot thing but it was too complicated.
Just use WintoFlash to make a bootable usb, and then boot it just like you boot from CD drive.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Psychology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (4)
36.36%
The paper was reasonable (2)
18.18%
Not feeling great about that exam... (1)
9.09%
It was TERRIBLE (4)
36.36%

Watched Threads