Why is Loughborough slipping down the league tables? Watch

Mr-Brightside
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I know they are not everything and some people completely disregard them, but they do exist and are looked at and considered, especially by potential applicants. I can't help to notice Loughborough seem's to be on a down hill slope over the last 4/5 years. I remember when I first started looking at Loughborough to apply 3 years ago it was around the top 10 yet now it seem's to be more around the top 20/25, any ideas why?

Should this be a concern to current students who thought they were getting a "top 10" reputation uni and will be leaving with one regarded as less (by league table standards)?
Potally_Tissed
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
When was it top 10? Other than 9th once, on the Guardian, which is pretty much a random number generator.

Top 20 is still perfectly respectable :yep:
Selym95
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Ever since this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lOVwIBhVaE
hessajee
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Potally_Tissed)
When was it top 10? Other than 9th once, on the Guardian, which is pretty much a random number generator.

Top 20 is still perfectly respectable :yep:

That's around the time when I started applying...
Fizzel
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
You'd have to look at what league tables are judged on. I'm not sure it matter too much, long term trends are more important in terms of future rep. Guardian put Aston above Manchester this year, it will be a while before employers take the same view as whole I would think. Loughborough is probably around where it is going to be for the foreseeable future top 20 uni.
renaz
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I did business postgraduate studies in Loughborough, from my personal opinion as an international student, the reason is that they recruit many foreign EU lecturers, and this diminishes the value of the British educational system. I was able to see the big difference between the evaluation of the EU Lecturers, which was completely rigid and burying to any creative idea on the table, and the British lecturers who were supportive to the outside box thinking.

After this bad experience, I decided not to continue my study in the U.K and I went to the U.S to do PhD, right now I am appreciated for the value of my ideas, all the lecturers in the U.S are local and they are keen about their American educational model that values the creative thinking, and even the few foreign lecturers are also required to apply the American education standards, otherwise, they would get kicked!

This is one of the main reason that Loughborough and other U.K institutions are slipping down in my opinion, and will continue in the near future.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Loughborough University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Jun '19
    Sat, 29 Jun '19
    Fri, 20 Sep '19

How has 2019 been so far?