Micro (price setting and price discrimination) Watch

microdummie
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hey guys,

Im having a hard time with an assignment, and was hoping you could help me. I have already done the assignment, but I doubt all of it is correct, so I want to hear your opinion on the different tasks. Here it goes:

The owner of a pub suspects that students' demand for beer is much more elastic with respect to workers' demand, and he asked you to help him setting beer prices. The owner estimated the following average demands, which associate to each price the number of beers purchased by the average consumer (student or worker):

- Students:
qs = 20−4p
- Workers:
qw = 16−2p

Each night, half of the clients of the pub are students and half are workers. The pub incurs a cost of $3 per beer.

a) If the owner of the pub cannot distinguish between students and workers, what price per beer should he set?

b) If the pub owner can charge according to whether or not the customer is a student (for instance, by applying discounts to the holders of a student card), what price should he set for each group?

c) What type of price discrimination would this be?

d) Suppose that it is impossible to explicitly discriminate across consumers. However, the owner knows that everyone remaining after midnight is a student, while only a 10% of those who arrive and consume before midnight are students. How should beer prices be set before and after midnight?

e) What type of price discrimination would this be?

f) Suppose that workers do not mind too much to come after midnight, if the prices of beer is

much lower then. How would they respond to the pricing you calculated in d)? In this case, what change would you recommend in the pricing strategy of the pub, with respect to your answer in question d? [a qualitative answer, without calculations, is accepted]

g) Assume that going to the pub after midnight reduces the surplus of a worker by 7$, and that the after-midnight price is equal to the one calculated in d). Calculate the maximum before- midnight price such that workers prefer to come before midnight.

TSR Learn Together
  •  Official Rep
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hi there,

While you're waiting for an answer, did you know we have 300,000 study resources that could answer your question in TSR's Learn together section?

We have everything from Teacher Marked Essays to Mindmaps and Quizzes to help you with your work. Take a look around.

If you're stuck on how to get started, try creating some resources. It's free to do and can help breakdown tough topics into manageable chunks. Get creating now.

Thanks!

Not sure what all of this is about? Head here to find out more.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• SOAS University of London
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 May '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Thu, 30 May '19
  • Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Fri, 31 May '19

How did your AQA A-level Business Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (191)
22.66%
The paper was reasonable (389)
46.14%
Not feeling great about that exam... (156)
18.51%
It was TERRIBLE (107)
12.69%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed