Should I apply for summer vac schemes? Watch

gawainthegreen
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi

I'm a second year non-law student at a 'top-ten' university and was wondering whether to apply for vac schemes or to wait until my third year and go for the events then.

I have good academics ( high 2.1 in first year, a-stars at a level) but I don't have any legal work experience or for that matter much general work experience outside some volunteering. Also my extra-curriculars are pretty unspectacular. Would it be more worthwhile trying to get some non-vac scheme legal work experience instead?
arrowhead
  • PS Reviewer
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by gawainthegreen)
Hi

I'm a second year non-law student at a 'top-ten' university and was wondering whether to apply for vac schemes or to wait until my third year and go for the events then.

I have good academics ( high 2.1 in first year, a-stars at a level) but I don't have any legal work experience or for that matter much general work experience outside some volunteering. Also my extra-curriculars are pretty unspectacular. Would it be more worthwhile trying to get some non-vac scheme legal work experience instead?
Why not try and get both? Apply for non-VS and VS experiences simultaneously. If you get the former, it enhances your CV, if you manage to get the latter, you have a shot at a TC.

For Vac Schemes, grades do matter a lot. Other than that, it all comes down to how you present yourself on paper and sell yourself through the competency questions.
gawainthegreen
Rep:
?
(Original post by arrowhead)
Why not try and get both? Apply for non-VS and VS experiences simultaneously. If you get the former, it enhances your CV, if you manage to get the latter, you have a shot at a TC.

For Vac Schemes, grades do matter a lot. Other than that, it all comes down to how you present yourself on paper and sell yourself through the competency questions.
Thanks for your advice. I was worried that a bad vac scheme application might prejudice further applications but I gather that is not the case.

How many VS would you recommend someone like myself apply for? I have seen people saw that they've applied for up to 30, however I haven't started preparing for the application process and so am worried by the amount of time it might take.
Key123
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hi

You won't be able to apply for vac schemes at most firms because you will be too early.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Key123
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Key123)
You won't be able to apply for vac schemes this year at most firms because you will be too early.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile
gawainthegreen
Rep:
?
Really? I lot of the firms I looked at (particularly MC/SC) offered vac schemes for second year law and non-law students.
arrowhead
  • PS Reviewer
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Thanks for your advice. I was worried that a bad vac scheme application might prejudice further applications but I gather that is not the case.

How many VS would you recommend someone like myself apply for? I have seen people saw that they've applied for up to 30, however I haven't started preparing for the application process and so am worried by the amount of time it might take.
You have a lot of time to start preparing. You're only second-year non-law after all. I would start doing research and networking at your stage.

Really? I lot of the firms I looked at (particularly MC/SC) offered vac schemes for second year law and non-law students.
You're wrong there. Vac Schemes are open to second-year law and third-year non-law.
gawainthegreen
Rep:
?
(Original post by arrowhead)
You have a lot of time to start preparing. You're only second-year non-law after all. I would start doing research and networking at your stage.

You're wrong there. Vac Schemes are open to second-year law and third-year non-law.
Hey, I think that whilst traditionally summer vac schemes were only open to second year law, it is possible to get on them in second year non-law (eg. http://www.linklatersgraduates.co.uk...s/which-scheme )

However as I don't feel prepared for them yet, I will take your advice and start to research, network and get unofficial experience.
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

I LOVE a Black Friday deal (277)
44.75%
Nah, Black Friday is pointless (188)
30.37%
I don't have an opinion (154)
24.88%

Watched Threads