No experience?. No job! Watch

Tsukuyomi
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Where do i start. This is a rant btw.

Firstly i graduated this yr with a 2.1 in accounting and finance. I managed to get a placement, a 6 month placement with a family's friend firm abroad, its a small firm but they have different accounting policies to the UK and what not, basically it didn't really help as much.

Anyway i have never gotten this idea of work experience. From my teenage years (currently 22), applying for small jobs such as retail was always a struggle since i lacked worked experience. In the end i did a volunteering job at a charity and added stuff i didn't do, to spice up the CV. Also added fake work experience just to get through. In the end i got the job, while lacking any real experience that they stated they wanted and did my job so well, during my summer holidays from university i came back there to work.

Basically i managed to forge my work experience for a job apparently wanting somebody with work experience and that didn't hold me back one bit. I am positive majority of us at a stage has forged work experience or know somebody that has and in the end they are coping just fine with the work. Obviously after finally getting valid work experience i deleted the forged experience (a man's gotta do what a man gotta do). Heck im positive we all know people that have gassed on their CV's on other things and not just work experience but that is another matter.

Anyway as a graduate i am having this same trouble. Due to the nature of my year out while its an experience and i have noted it on my CV and my millions of covering letters its not proving to help much. The most annoying thing i find with these jobs asking for experience is that they are all low level/ entry level jobs, no sht the person most likely doesn't have experience. The jobs i go for are trainee accountants, finance/accounting assistant. Jobs that you would think will require little to no experience and even the trainee accountancy jobs where training is provided, majority are for one reason or another looking for experience in that field.

Yes there are many options of gaining experience. Such as internships, year out or doing voluntary work. However even these examples its extremely hard to get any. I have emailed countless of accounting firms asking for voluntary work, just a month even and some do not bother emailing/calling back, the ones that do say something along the lines of being fully staffed or cannot provide training.

How can you get a job asking for experience, if nobody is willing to give you the experience and what is frustrating is that these very people asking for experience, i am positive somebody must have taken a chance with them and given them the work with limited experience, after all nobody was born with the experience!.

I am not agains't work experience lets be clear on that, obviously for a senior position or something of that nature, yes i can understand work experience. I am just saying graduate positions or little jobs for teenagers asking for experience is ludicrous. I am currently back in retail, stacking shelves and what not and i'm thinking i'm far better than this but also way too fine to be doing this real talk, i got female customers hollering . No offense to the folks that be doing this as their real job though. Anyway its kinda sad because what my A-level teacher told me has become true. He proposed i did the AAT or an apprenticeship instead of going to university and right now i wish i took his advice as i would be debt free for a start and most likely got a healthy bank account, i would have most likely completed my AAT and prolly be part qualified ACCA with years of experience, instead i am the exact opposite.

Which brings me to my final point, i thought i may be able to do an apprenticeship, while the main ages is between 16-18, i have come across a few which are 16-24, so for a few seconds i thought this might work, then i was hit by the news that, graduates cannot apply for apprenticeships so i am back at square one.
Masoudy
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Because you forged your CV karma didn't like you
chikane
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
When applying for apprenticeship don't mention your degree
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Business Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (191)
22.52%
The paper was reasonable (390)
45.99%
Not feeling great about that exam... (157)
18.51%
It was TERRIBLE (110)
12.97%

Watched Threads