Should I drop out of sixth form? Watch

laurastevo12
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I thought this would be the best place to ask this, basically I go a sixth form and I'm doing chemistry, biology, psychology and health and social. I wasn't happy about coming here as it's not the best environment (my previous secondary school too)

I'm really not enjoying being there and really want to leave. Don't get me wrong I want to do a levels next year but somewhere else and just start AS from scratch, is that possible?

As a law came in about not being able to leave till I'm 17 which I am now, would that be possible to drop out and carry on working at my part time job instead until I can join a new college?

Help
cathzeta10
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hi there,
i know how you feel im in the same situation too, but i've decided to stick it out for a year and apply somewhere else. if you drop out now its not gonna look great to the next college you wanna apply to.
i guess since the law says you can leave at 17 and you know you can get a job (as they are limited nowadays) or even an apprenticeship. most importantly talk to someone who will understand and can help.
hope this helps
gonewandering
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Have you tried contacting other colleges or sixth-forms that you would like to attend?

If you are looking to take the same A-Level subjects as you are taking now, you could be able to transfer straight away (or perhaps at the start of the new term in the new year), rather than having to wait for a new school year. It would avoid any potential legal issues and would certainly save you having the gap to explain.
Even if you're looking to do different subjects, contact the places you are looking to attend anyway. Depending on your aptitude you could quite easily catch up on the few months you would been behind.
laurastevo12
Rep:
?
Hi Cathzeta10,

I literally cannot stay there much longer, it's affecting too much to be able to cope there and how they treat me, as I've been through this before with them (as I went to there secondary school) I know no matter how much you ask them or go higher like the school governors it is sorted for a week then it's the same and I can't deal with that especially with A level work that I have to ace. Hopefully I can transfer to another college, maybe you could query that yourself depending if you're in your first or second year I suppose

Hi gonewandering,

I have started to look at other colleges, i spoke to the careers adviser on the phone on Friday and she said I could transfer and possibly start after the Christmas break as long as the subjects I want to take use the same exam board as my current sixth form.

I have emailed a couple of colleges and hoping to hear back from them asap. It would be difficult to explain the gap because I don't want to jeopardize any future plans from the gap that could of happened as they may think that I can't handle pressure but it's the situation but I'd find it very difficult to explain especially with so many factors involved.

Thank you for your help, I'm going to find out more about transferring and hopefully have it sorted for new year
cathzeta10
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hi again, laurastevo12

well just don't do anything you regret and i understand completely where you're coming from. So all the best for the future and for both our sakes i hope our problems get resolved soon.

Good Luck
A future Midwife
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Why don't you see if you can transfer schools now? if you talk to your head of years about it, they will be able to see if any of the other sixth forms have a place for you!
laurastevo12
Rep:
?
I'm trying to but all the places I've looked don't use the same exam board so they can't accept me to 'fit right in' with the subjects I'm doing already if that makes sense :/
gonewandering
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Personally I wouldn't rely on email.

SCHOOLS ARE AWFUL WITH EMAILS!!!!!

When I was looking for a school to sit exams with as an external candidate, and then when I was looking for some work experience I emailed every school in the area.

Two replied the first time - one the second. Out of 20 -It was appaulling
And even then, the gaps between replies averaged two weeks.

Seriously -Phone them or go into see them. It saves so much time, stress and aggravation.
gonewandering
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by laurastevo12)
I'm trying to but all the places I've looked don't use the same exam board so they can't accept me to 'fit right in' with the subjects I'm doing already if that makes sense :/
If you're really struggling, emphasis that you don't need to "fit right in". The prospectus of the exam boards are not that different. Emphasise you can catch up between now and christmas etc. etc.

And don't worry about if you do need to have a "gap". It's not a disadvantage. Just look at all those who take gap years- it doesn't stop them getting into university.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Arts University Bournemouth
    Art and Design Foundation Diploma Further education
    Sat, 25 May '19
  • SOAS University of London
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 May '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Thu, 30 May '19

How did your AQA GCSE Physics Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (491)
31.1%
The paper was reasonable (608)
38.51%
Not feeling great about that exam... (258)
16.34%
It was TERRIBLE (222)
14.06%

Watched Threads