Biology foundation year Watch

Applepie:)
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi guys,

I'm a student at uni currently studying Politics as a 1st year undergrad. I'm not enjoying my course..But I love the uni, but sadly, not so much the course. I feel quite dull and lifeless in it, until I do loads of reading, and then some interest comes into it, but naturally, I don't believe I'm really into it.

But, I've always had an interest in the sciences. In my school, I never did very well in science. I basically don't know a thing about biology, chem, or physics, and I failed them at GCSE...as shamed as I am about that fact. - I was more your English, and humanities girl (succeed in that department!)

So, now, I'm considering taking up a biology foundation degree next year. I want to embark upon something that'll interest me, and something that will be new to me so hopefully i'll really be into it...but with that being said...IT WILL BE NEW TO ME. Is that too much of a risk, even for a a degree with a foundation year? I really am thinking about it. But is it too risky? Where do foundation degrees start off from sort of...similar to A level/GCSE? -

Thanks. Your advice and guidance would be appreciated!
flowerscat
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hi

Why don't you get some of the AS levels textbooks in Biology and do some reading, to see how much it interests you - and how hard you feel it is? A good overall one is the Nelson Thornes AQA AS textbook. A-level Biology involves study of cells, cell structure, DNA, biotechnology, neurones, muscles, heart and ecology - I imagine a foundation degree will be based on a similar structure.

Others on this website who are taking a foundation degree might also be able to help you with recommended books.

You will need to know and surpass GCSE biology knowledge for a foundation degree - at GCSE you are just scratching the surface, at A-level and foundation, you go into a lot more detail about internal cellular processes.

Good luck!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• SOAS University of London
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 May '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Thu, 30 May '19
  • Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Fri, 31 May '19

How did your AQA A-level Business Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (222)
22.75%
The paper was reasonable (440)
45.08%
Not feeling great about that exam... (176)
18.03%
It was TERRIBLE (138)
14.14%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed