The Economist - Worth subscribing? Watch

Holdaboss
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi, just seen a deal on that says The Economist is £12 for the first 12 weeks for students. Anyone had past experience reading the economist, is it insightful and would it be beneficial to an economics student? Or are there any better alternatives I could subscribe to that would aid my studies?
Solemn Rain
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
If I was you I'd go with the financial times.
matt_g96
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I just read as many articles that really interest me until the website says I need to purchase a subscription to read further.
Creat0r
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Holdaboss)
Hi, just seen a deal on that says The Economist is £12 for the first 12 weeks for students. Anyone had past experience reading the economist, is it insightful and would it be beneficial to an economics student? Or are there any better alternatives I could subscribe to that would aid my studies?
In my student house the people that lived here before us had a subscription, I thought £5 per copy seemed expensive but now it makes sense. We have so many economist magazines now most haven't even been taken out of the wrapper!

The quality of the articles are very good, they seem to be well researched, more so than articles on a lot of quality newspaper websites. I haven't read that much yet but from what I have read the stories have stuck in my mind. It's interesting, well written, insightful and broadened my mind. An example would be the situation in the Middle East, I read an article that gave a great overview of the Islamist factions there, the general attitude of the populations, the foreseeable future etc.

£12 for 12 weeks? Erm, yes it's worth it.
Heliosphan
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Been a subscriber for a while now and can thoroughly recommend it. As said above, articles are really well written but also accessible. By that, I mean you can read pretty much any article without it going clean over your head, even if you know nothing about the subject matter.

The only drawback for me is that it is pretty left-leaning in it's views but still a very good read.
Potally_Tissed
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Holdaboss)
I had a subscription until I cancelled it about two months before I graduated. My degree is economics with politics, so about as relevant as it gets.

For the most part I found that while some of it was quite interesting, not a great deal was very relevant or useful to me in terms of my degree. It was occasionally handy for bits of coursework but generally of limited use.

At £12 for 12 weeks I'd say give it a try. If you enjoy reading it then great; if you're not all that fussed and you're just reading it because it might be useful for your studies, to be honest there's probably better things you could do with the money.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Psychology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (3)
37.5%
The paper was reasonable (0)
0%
Not feeling great about that exam... (1)
12.5%
It was TERRIBLE (4)
50%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise