Entrance grades in relation to difficulty Watch

supertramp
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
This might sound a bit thick but do the entrance grades for courses reflect the difficulty of the subject matter? Like, if the offer is high and you only just scrape it would that mean you would have problems with the difficulty of the course? Or are the entrance grades mostly reliant on demand for the course, more people want to do it so they need to push up the grades? Just curious.
sleepy_person!
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
you might find this thread helpful:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=250833

But I would say that whilst popularity does affect the entrance requirements, see the english/french debate in the thread, the better unis offer higher grades because the courses are harder , for example, I doubt somebody who got three Ds at A level would be able to cope with any course at Oxbridge.

However, if you've just scraped the grades, you've still got them at the end of the day, and bearing in mind lots of unis still take on people who have missed their offer by a bit, I'd say that you'll be fine on your uni course!
Steeeeevo
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by supertramp)
This might sound a bit thick but do the entrance grades for courses reflect the difficulty of the subject matter? Like, if the offer is high and you only just scrape it would that mean you would have problems with the difficulty of the course? Or are the entrance grades mostly reliant on demand for the course, more people want to do it so they need to push up the grades? Just curious.
A bit of both really, some courses at some universities may be easier than some others have high requirements due to the applicants of the course (things such as medicine courses or courses at oxbridge spring to mind) and to ensure that only the very best students are accepted onto the course they can afford to raise the grades. Other courses have high requirements due to the complexity of the subject (such as mathematics) and to ensure that only people who can manage the course get onto it they have to raise their requirments. The rest are some place in between with the courses with the lowest requirements usually unpopular, quite easy and at an unpopular university.
kellywood_5
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I'd say at the majority of universities, it has more to do with the popularity of the course. For example, I applied for languages and got ABB offers from Bristol and Exeter. I'm sure if I'd applied for English or history, my offers would be more like AAA/AAB. That doesn't mean languages are easier than English or history, just that they're not as popular and therefore universities can't afford to accept only the AAA students. In some cases, it is about difficulty though. Someone mentioned Oxbridge, which is the obvious example because it's very rare to get an offer lower than AAA for any course, and those that do often applied through the Special Access Schemes. If you got an offer and met the grades, however 'scraped', you're good enough for that university, and if you didn't quite meet the grades but were accepted anyway, that should tell you that the university is confident you can cope. It's normal to feel apprehensive about university and how hard it will be, but I'm sure you'll be fine
kateykat
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Popularity plays the biggest part I think. I've applied for English and most universities that are considered good but aren't hugely renowned or anything want at least AAB. In contrast to that, when I've done searches on French courses for the same universities they mostly ask for BBB/BBC.
Elliray
Report 12 years ago
Mainly it is popularity of courses. My geogpraphy offer is AAB, but i'd applied for geology, which is at least the same level of difficulty, at the same uni, I'd only need BBC. Starting to wish I'd applied for geology now..!
Hana_1987
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
My old headmaster reckons it's got to do with the popularity of the course and of the uni.
Trundle
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by kellywood_5)
Someone mentioned Oxbridge, which is the obvious example because it's very rare to get an offer lower than AAA for any course, and those that do often applied through the Special Access Schemes.
I applied through the special access scheme :rolleyes:. Maybe it would have been AAAAA if I hadn't have done :p: (and I don't even do 5 A-levels).
kellywood_5
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Trundle)
I applied through the special access scheme :rolleyes:. Maybe it would have been AAAAA if I hadn't have done :p: (and I don't even do 5 A-levels).
Really? :eek: God, an AAAA offer through CSAS is just........mean!!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of the Arts London
    MA Design: Ceramics, Furniture or Jewellery Open Day Postgraduate
    Fri, 25 Jan '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Jan '19
  • Brunel University London
    Undergraduate Experience Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Jan '19

Are you chained to your phone?