The Student Room Group

21 year old dies, that may have been related to stress of work

Moritz Erhard, an intern at the Bank of America was found dead on August 15th in his accommodation, having been found to have died of an epileptic seizure.

Now the speculation grows that his work hours (often until 5-6am) may have played a factor in his death, with him being a diagnosed epileptic, on medication but supposedly not told his employers.

As a similar 21 year old, epileptic, soon to be entering a stressful job working long hours, I admire him for not feeling the need to list himself as "disabled," but surely it was inevitably going to affect him.

The other question then is just how much support would he have been getting, surely, whether we like it or not, this WOULD have put him at a disadvantage when applying for the job.

Our thoughts are with his family.

What do you think?
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Anyone doing those kind of hours is either being given too much work to do or is unsuitable for the role. It's stupid to push yourself that hard. It's a sad thing to happen, but I have very little sympathy for those who put work over their health.
it's just not worth it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by mikeyd85
Anyone doing those kind of hours is either being given too much work to do or is unsuitable for the role. It's stupid to push yourself that hard. It's a sad thing to happen, but I have very little sympathy for those who put work over their health.

It's not abnormal to shove more work onto the 1st years/trainees/interns because they are competing for that job, therefore are easily abused in that position. That's common in many jobs across the board.

Being the first rung of the ladder means you will always experience something similar. (if not maybe that extreme)
Original post by That Bearded Man
It's not abnormal to shove more work onto the 1st years/trainees/interns because they are competing for that job, therefore are easily abused in that position. That's common in many jobs across the board.

Being the first rung of the ladder means you will always experience something similar. (if not maybe that extreme)

Which is a practice that should be stopped. It's ridiculous.

Unfortunately it looks like they can wash their hands of this one, as they can say they had safeguards in place, should he have told them.
Unfortunately it looks like they can wash their hands of this one, as they can say they had safeguards in place, should he have told them.

Yeah, it's unfortunate that the young man didn't state he was epileptic. :sad:
Yeah, it's unfortunate that the young man didn't state he was epileptic. :sad:

Do you think it would have made a difference?
Do you think it would have made a difference?

I'd like to say yes to this.

But no. I don't. He would have still pushed as hard and the bosses will continue to use interns as meat.
I know nothing about epilepsy. Does it get worse under stress or something?
I'd like to say yes to this.

But no. I don't. He would have still pushed as hard and the bosses will continue to use interns as meat.

I agree actually.
Original post by Beckyweck
I know nothing about epilepsy. Does it get worse under stress or something?

It depends on your trigger (alcohol/drugs, heat and dehydration, stress, flashing lights) but a poor sleeping pattern and stressful job would probably exacerbate the problem, and make you more likely to seize.
Tbh they probably wouldn't have considered him if he was epileptic.
I REALLY don't understand why people want to work in jobs with such high stress levels and so little room for living your own life. Sure, you get a high income and high status, but is it really worth it? What use is money if you're going to be living in misery? :s-smilie:

Someone please explain
Reply 15
It would have been better if he told them he was epileptic, and then get rejected because of it. He'd understand that the company would be too stressful for him, and so could find work somewhere else... it would certainly have been hard to find another work but look at what the consequences are when you don't know your limits...
Original post by Guitarded
I REALLY don't understand why people want to work in jobs with such high stress levels and so little room for living your own life. Sure, you get a high income and high status, but is it really worth it? What use is money if you're going to be living in misery? :s-smilie:

Someone please explain

They probably feel they'd be a miserable failure without the high status and income, so it's sort of a lose-lose situation for many people with that mind-set.

I respectfully disagree. Perhaps toned down, but not stopped.

I began my working life as an apprentice. On the bottom rung so to speak and was given all the terrible jobs that no one else wanted to do. Did I hate it? No, perhaps disliked it, but never hated it. Do I wish it didn't happen? No, because it toughened me up for the work higher up the food chain that goes unnoticed.

For me, work is about making your way up the ladder. I'm near the top of mine now so I'm not on the bottom rung. Someone else is now who gets treated the way I did. It'll toughen him up. I get the impression you're hinting at those on the bottom rung having an easy time? Why? You've got to earn your stripes, what better way to prove yourself.
Original post by uktotalgamer
I respectfully disagree. Perhaps toned down, but not stopped.

I began my working life as an apprentice. On the bottom rung so to speak and was given all the terrible jobs that no one else wanted to do. Did I hate it? No, perhaps disliked it, but never hated it. Do I wish it didn't happen? No, because it toughened me up for the work higher up the food chain that goes unnoticed.

For me, work is about making your way up the ladder. I'm near the top of mine now so I'm not on the bottom rung. Someone else is now who gets treated the way I did. It'll toughen him up. I get the impression you're hinting at those on the bottom rung having an easy time? Why? You've got to earn your stripes, what better way to prove yourself.

You misinterpret me.

People should work from the bottom to get up the ladder and they should start with horrible jobs, just not with a workload so great that they feel pressurised in to working all nighters multiple times in a week.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
Original post by BWV1007
It would have been better if he told them he was epileptic, and then get rejected because of it. He'd understand that the company would be too stressful for him, and so could find work somewhere else... it would certainly have been hard to find another work but look at what the consequences are when you don't know your limits...

Don't forget, it's illegal (Disability Discrimination Act) to choose not to employ someone due to a mental or physical disability, thus he could take them to court.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending