The Student Room Group

I don't want to go home for Christmas

I figure i'm probably in the minority when I say this but I don't want to go home for Christmas. I'm not close to my family, it's not because of arguments or tensions or anything i'm just not a family person. I'm very introverted and don't like social situations. My family don't even celebrate Christmas in the way other families do. We never sit around the table and eat together, we don't have a special dinner or anything, at most the only stereotypical Christmas food we have is chicken which you can eat at anytime anyway not just Christmas. The only person who seems to care about it is my mum. My dad doesn't care and i guess i take it from him because i don't care about holidays or my own birthday just like my dad. Since coming to university I like my new found independence, i came from a tiny deprived town with nothing of interest in it and now at university in a city with loads of stuff in it and loads of different people and i don't want to go back to that ****hole called home. I even have lots of essays to do over the Christmas holidays for January and i won't have access to the university library's resources if i go home (I could just take out books then go home and renew them through the online system) but it's still easier if i were actually here in case i needed different material.

The problem is, my mum asked me when am i coming home for Christmas and i'm stunned as to what to say because i don't want to upset her but i really don't want to go home as like i said it's pretty much a normal day compared to the way everyone else celebrates it.

Any advice would be great, thanks. :frown:
Could you split it, i.e spend some time at home, and some time in your uni city?
I think it's really important to remember that halls are going to be absolutely deserted over xmas. Seriously - I stayed for 3 extra days in first year because of my job, and I didn't see another human in all of that time, which was pretty miserable. My family aren't the easiest either, but I can tell you that they're easier than total isolation.

Perhaps you could just go home for (say) a week? That way you'll still have access to the library for most of the holidays, your family will still get to see you, and you won't be so isolated. You could also consider doing some of the cooking yourself this xmas - some things are pretty easy to do (e.g. roast potatoes and parsnips), and others pretty much come out of a packet (e.g. stuffing). Lidl currently has a fab xmas orientated deluxe range in stock too.
Reply 3
Makes me proud. Could have done with more people like you on the Western Front.
I'm in the same boat. I want to be home for Christmas because my family does celebrate it and its a good couple of days. But I can't imagine being trapped at home for a month. Like you I have no idea how to tell my mum that I want to stay at uni longer. She'll guilt trip me so much :frown:
Original post by Origami Bullets
I think it's really important to remember that halls are going to be absolutely deserted over xmas. Seriously - I stayed for 3 extra days in first year because of my job, and I didn't see another human in all of that time, which was pretty miserable. My family aren't the easiest either, but I can tell you that they're easier than total isolation.

Perhaps you could just go home for (say) a week? That way you'll still have access to the library for most of the holidays, your family will still get to see you, and you won't be so isolated. You could also consider doing some of the cooking yourself this xmas - some things are pretty easy to do (e.g. roast potatoes and parsnips), and others pretty much come out of a packet (e.g. stuffing). Lidl currently has a fab xmas orientated deluxe range in stock too.

This.

Everyone I know who's staying in halls are leaving for home as the current term ends. Only the international students will stay around (I'm presuming).
Original post by James A
This.

Everyone I know who's staying in halls are leaving for home as the current term ends. Only the international students will stay around (I'm presuming).

Which is worrying seeing as there will be noone to stop them building forts out of bedding and furniture.
I generally stay for a week after term ends because it is so lovely and quiet in the library, I get tons done, but I wouldn't want to stay for much longer, you really do start to go a bit stir-crazy being by yourself!
Go home. It may not be much fun but it's important to your mum and you should do it for her sake.
Original post by Ruffiio
Any advice would be great, thanks. :frown:

I think you should go and see them for Christmas Day, that's what I do. I'm barely back for 24 hours. I went back to my parents house after my first ever term at university (mostly because I ran out of money) and I was bored ****less. So every holiday period since i've just stayed here. It's not really an issue because i've made plenty of friends from work.

Original post by feathered-soul
I'm in the same boat. I want to be home for Christmas because my family does celebrate it and its a good couple of days. But I can't imagine being trapped at home for a month. Like you I have no idea how to tell my mum that I want to stay at uni longer. She'll guilt trip me so much :frown:

If you don't want to stay longer than the 25th then don't, the people who are saying nobody is around whenever a university term ends are over exaggerating a tad. The only time that is the case is the week or so which covers Christmas and NYD, and if you've got a job then it's not really an issue because you'll still have your work mates. It's not like you will have no human contact for a month. If you don't have a job, do you reckon you can handle a week or so with little face to face contact? If so, then do it.
Reply 10
Do what you want to do. What would you want to do regardless of the consequences?

This idea that people have, that if there weren't any consequences they would go kill someone is crazy. Why? Because we're all scared crazy. Just realise this; whatever happens, you can handle it mate.
Really you should just make your mom happy. I think
When I go off to uni next year, I know I won't want to come back home because I kind of hate it here but I'd rather be at home in a familiar environment than be isolated and by myself throughout Christmas.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
Are you in halls? Some of them say you have to be out of the building between certain dates. And even if they don't, they probably turn the heating off. Unless you have friends who live in your uni city all the time, you'll be very lonely.
Reply 14
What I meant by that was to not rationalise your decision. Don't think about it. When you have the chance, listen to your body rather than your self-talk. Because this decision is going to be impossible to rationalise. You can't. So just do what your heart and balls think is right and switch your mind off for once. I'm quite sure it will help in this instance.
Reply 15
I'm a mum. My son is very depressed and at university and won't come home. I am devastated. If he was staying because he was happy and having fun I'd accept it. But I'm going to spend the whole time worrying.I can't go to him because I have no choice but to work for part of the day. Go home, see your mum. The time for leaving family behind will come soon enough.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending