The Student Room Group

GCSE War poetry

I am about to start the planning stage in my GCSE war poetry and I am wondering how to set it out and what poems to use. The question is asking you to look at the price paid by soldiers in the war. The 4 poems I have to choose from is "Dulce et Decorum est", "Disabled", "Anthem for doomed youth" and "Mental Cases" all are by Wilfred Owen. I definitely want to do Dulce and Anthem but I'm not sure whether to choose Disabled or Mental Cases as my last poem. Also I am not sure how to plan the essay, I remember that the question said I must compare how he shows the price paid in his poems but I don't want to use simple connectives like "similarly" as we were told not to, but I am not sure how to talk about more than one poem on the same price without using simple linking words, any ways to use more advanced techniques will be appreciated, thanks for all help.
Hi there,

While you're waiting for an answer, did you know we have 300,000 study resources that could answer your question in TSR's Learn together section?

We have everything from Teacher Marked Essays to Mindmaps and Quizzes to help you with your work. Take a look around.

If you're stuck on how to get started, try creating some resources. It's free to do and can help breakdown tough topics into manageable chunks. Get creating now.

Thanks!

Not sure what all of this is about? Head here to find out more.
Reply 2
Original post by Darksoul25
I am about to start the planning stage in my GCSE war poetry and I am wondering how to set it out and what poems to use. The question is asking you to look at the price paid by soldiers in the war. The 4 poems I have to choose from is "Dulce et Decorum est", "Disabled", "Anthem for doomed youth" and "Mental Cases" all are by Wilfred Owen. I definitely want to do Dulce and Anthem but I'm not sure whether to choose Disabled or Mental Cases as my last poem. Also I am not sure how to plan the essay, I remember that the question said I must compare how he shows the price paid in his poems but I don't want to use simple connectives like "similarly" as we were told not to, but I am not sure how to talk about more than one poem on the same price without using simple linking words, any ways to use more advanced techniques will be appreciated, thanks for all help.

Disabled & Dulce et decorum est

They're both right depressing. One is after action, the other is in media res.

Think about the benefits of analysing one at a time vs doing a concurrent double analysis.

One is about big themes, patriotism, duty and survival (or the redundancy of). The other one is about not getting laid because you have lost your legs.
Original post by Darksoul25

Hi, I have the exactly the same assignment! And I'm guessing you've already finished your gcse? I am doing all four of the poems above you mentioned and looking at comparing te price paid through all of them! I am really stuck for points! English is my worst subject could you please give me a heads up! any help is useful to me! Thanks xx

Quick Reply

Latest